Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can determine a GPU's cost/performance by dividing the cost of the card by the average FPS and getting the "cost per frame". But is there a way to determine the cost/performance of a CPU? Maybe by dividing the cost of the CPU by the average speed of SuperPI? I'm not sure...

Anyways, I asked about the best cost/performance GPU on the market in the nVidia forum and they told me to go for the unlocked HD6950 2GB model. So I am asking in the AMD CPU forum about the best CPU on the market in terms of bang for buck (Intel or AMD, doesn't matter)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Phenom II X6 1055T is the big bang for the buck for AMD.
i5 2500K is the big bang for the buck for Intel.
Overall i5 2500K is the biggest bang for the buck on the market today.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegetables
View Post

Based on no information whatsoever (lol), I would guess the best bang for the buck CPU is the i5 2500k.

Ah, well the CPU that I am looking for would be for gaming. So I'm assuming the quad cores such as the one I am using in my sig rig are kinda under-utilized in that regard?

I have heard the i5 2500k are good as well.. but maybe only a 20-30% increase over my Q8400.

Does AMD offer anything that competes with the 2500K?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dixson01974
View Post

Phenom II X6 1055T is the big bang for the buck for AMD.
i5 2500K is the big bang for the buck for Intel.
Overall i5 2500K is the biggest bang for the buck on the market today.

Thanks!
Maybe I should wait then.. if my Q8400 is fine enough for now. Hearing talk about this "Ivybridge" coming out later this year.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by revlimiter
View Post

Thanks!
Maybe I should wait then.. if my Q8400 is fine enough for now. Hearing talk about this "Ivybridge" coming out later this year.

Intel Ivybridge and AMD Bulldozer are coming out this year. I'm waiting to see if AMD pick up the game with the bulldozer.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks

Not yet, because their current Phenom 2 archtitechture is years behind sandy bridge's, but they do have some cheap CPU's like Phenom 2 820 and 955 that easily compete in bang for the buck.

AMD is coming up with Bulldozer this June, it should be either equal or faster than Sandy Bridge if it lives up to the hype.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Ivy Bridge doesn't come out this year, it comes out next year. SB-e comes out this year and will be their "high end" segment (6 to 8 core sandy bridge chips instead of the 4 core versions available now).

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Based on no information whatsoever (lol), I would guess the best bang for the buck CPU is the i5 2500k.

Disagreee PII X2 555BE and unlock it to a quad core, a quad for 90$ with an UL multi.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with the i5 2500k being the "best bang for the buck" CPU. It is a great buy in terms of price/performance, but not the best. I think for absolute best price/performance, you're going to have to look at the lower echelon CPUs, because that's where overclocking and unlocking cores show the greatest increases in terms of performance vs. what you pay.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoblikat
View Post

Disagreee PII X2 555BE and unlock it to a quad core, a quad for 90$ with an UL multi.

Doesn't PII 555's only have a roughly 40% unlock rate, with it getting lower and lower as time went on? Or has it increased again? I haven't read about unlocking a PII Dual Core in ages...

CPU unlocks are too unpredictable to count on. If you NEED a quad and buy a dual to unlock, you won't be happy when you get a rebranded quad with 2 unstable disabled cores. That $90 or so will seem like a kick in the nuts after that...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ah, well the CPU that I am looking for would be for gaming. So I'm assuming the quad cores such as the one I am using in my sig rig are kinda under-utilized in that regard?

I have heard the i5 2500k are good as well.. but maybe only a 20-30% increase over my Q8400.

Thanks

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/89?vs=288 (this is at both stock clocks.)

And, don't forget that you went from 2.66GHz to 3.33 which is .66GHz increase. (24.81% clock increase)

2500K can go from 3.3 to 4.5 easily. A 1.2GHz increase. (36.36% clock increase)

So, I may be wrong, but I would say that the 2500K would give a little more than 20-30% in OVERALL (including encoding, gaming, etc.) performance than your C2Q Q8400 and would run with lower power consumption.

The main things that make the 2500k so great is the newer efficient architecture and the incredible overclocking ability and low power consumption.

Agree, disagree?

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. Because I would get an AMD CPU in a heartbeat if it gave me more benefit in some way. But, for now, the 2500k is the best price/performance CPU (to me).

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepahl318
View Post

here come the trolls

2500k or 1090t are both great price/performance cpus

I have to disagree on the 1090T, because you can oc the 1055T just as high as the 1090T and it is cheaper. It is about the same price as most of the high end Phenom II x4.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yea I have a 1090T and I have to say, I'm disappointed. sure the prices are dropping all the time now, but the 1055T and 1090T have far too close of a top Oc to make me say I'd pick the 1090T again. Sure it takes a little more time to get the same OC out of a 1055T, but who cares? All the more reason to appreciate a good deal done right. When I bought, my 1090T was about $60 more than a 1055T, that $60 would be nice to have in my pocket, considering my performance would be little changed, if at all.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnarlybug5
View Post

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/89?vs=288 (this is at both stock clocks.)

And, don't forget that you went from 2.66GHz to 3.33 which is .66GHz increase. (24.81% clock increase)

2500K can go from 3.3 to 4.5 easily. A 1.2GHz increase. (36.36% clock increase)

So, I may be wrong, but I would say that the 2500K would give a little more than 20-30% in OVERALL (including encoding, gaming, etc.) performance than your C2Q Q8400 and would run with lower power consumption.

The main things that make the 2500k so great is the newer efficient architecture and the incredible overclocking ability and low power consumption.

Agree, disagree?

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. Because I would get an AMD CPU in a heartbeat if it gave me more benefit in some way. But, for now, the 2500k is the best price/performance CPU (to me).

I plan on OC'ing my Q8400 to 3.6 or 3.8 when my new Antec PSU arrives. In that case it might only be a 20-30% performance increase of the 2500K. Thanks for the link to that site though. Great comparison charts! +rep

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would agree that if I was building a new system right now (which I don't need to at all) I would probably go with the Intel i5 2500k sandy bridge. These processors are insanely fast and the price is right.

But I must say I am very happy with my AMD phenom ii 925. I wouldn't say this is a price/performance winner because most of us are enthusiast and I wouldn't mind being even faster. But it's going for $115 right now and I have mine overclocked to 3.64 GHZ which is about the stock speed of the AMD phenom II 975 which is $190. Can't complain with that kind of cost/performance, it works for my needs and is very fast.

But no where as fast as i5 2500k probably winner at the moment. I can't wait to see what Bulldozer can do.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Didnt read any of the rest of the thread but its pretty tought to say the 2500k is best bang for the buck if you would have to buy a new mobo and new ram to run the cpu.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
For gaming: 2500k
For encoding: 1055t
For both: 2500k

1 - 20 of 24 Posts