Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am new at overclocking and modifying. I want to get a cpu heatsink/fan but i dont know which one gives the lowest temp.(°C) on
amd 64 3700+ cpu and epox 9NP1+Ultra mobo

-ZALMAN CNPS9500
-THERMALTAKE Big Typhoon
-THERMALRIGHT XP-120 (w/ a 120mm fan)

Please give me some reasons too...

Thank you...

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have big typhoon on my 3700+ and before i o/c'd it was idleing at 24c. i overclocked it to 2.8ghz and now its idleing at 27-28c. its in a thermaltake tsunami case which has a fan on the side of the case so its blowing air right into the heatsink, so that helps. also i have arctic silver 5 on the cpu.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3

Hey guys i am new at overclocking and modifying. I want to get a cpu heatsink/fan but i dont know which one gives the lowest temp.(°C) on
amd 64 3700+ cpu and epox 9NP1+Ultra mobo

-ZALMAN CNPS9500
-THERMALTAKE Big Typhoon
-THERMALRIGHT XP-120 (w/ a 120mm fan)

Please give me some reasons too...

Thank you...

I have that same setup. I use a SI-120 with a Silverstone 110CFM fan. My CPU is running with 1.68-1.7V @ 31-34*C idle and 40-44*C load.
Edit: The XP-120 will block and render unusable the two DIMM slots nearest the CPU socket.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Melcar what do u think if i get a big typhoon, will it block the ram slots ? i don't wanna get the si-120 cuz it will cost me more with a fan and i think; from the reviews i made, big typhoon is a better cpu cooler. Does anybody know if B.t. is compatible with Epox 9NPA+Ultra or not ?
Btw thanks for your replies...

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xtr3m3

Melcar what do u think if i get a big typhoon, will it block the ram slots ? i don't wanna get the si-120 cuz it will cost me more with a fan and i think; from the reviews i made, big typhoon is a better cpu cooler. Does anybody know if B.t. is compatible with Epox 9NPA+Ultra or not ?
Btw thanks for your replies...

The SI-120 fits perfectly on my motherboard, and seeing that the BT is similar in shape and size to the SI-120 I don't see how it can obstruct anything.

• Rep+
Reactions: 3xtr3m3

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi guys,

I just got the big typhoon today at fry's, and I must say I'm very impressed. It gets me about 10C cooler load temps over what it replaced (xp-90c). Went from 56-57 full load to 47C full load! I still have some testing to do and see if I can now take my oc higher. I'm just happy about the temp difference, I didn't expect it to be so much. Been running Prime95 plus folding and some other stuff, to totally tax out the cpu 100% for over an hour now, and it hasn't blinked over 47C one time, woohoo
. Damn, and I was even liking that xp-90c it did a good job, but this typhoon blows it away.

This is with the stock fan, and as far as quiet, it's like a 16db fan, way quiet

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys should try the Zalman CNPS9500. It is a pretty efficient cooler and is absolutely silent. I jsut got one and it works awesome.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddrmaxgt37

You guys should try the Zalman CNPS9500. It is a pretty efficient cooler and is absolutely silent. I jsut got one and it works awesome.

I thinking of getting the same setup you have, cpu and mobo, and really considering the Zalman, what kind of temps are you getting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts