Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 2700k oc to 4.8

i was thinking of getting 7990, i have 7970CF now , but will return back get 7990 and in future get 1 more... what CPU should i get that wont bottleneck and its for gaming on 1 monitor,

BTW screw 3 monitors, those lines look ugly sorry no 3 monitors ever unless 1 in 3 anyway back to my q

·
Banned
50 Posts
Pretty sure you can't CF 7990s. They are already 2 cards in 1. To tell you the truth, since you are only using 1 monitor, CF 7970s are already complete overkill IMO. I would say keep what you have til you have to upgrade (3 monitors, parts die, etc.)

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaT420 View Post

Pretty sure you can't CF 7990s. They are already 2 cards in 1. To tell you the truth, since you are only using 1 monitor, CF 7970s are already complete overkill IMO. I would say keep what you have til you have to upgrade (3 monitors, parts die, etc.)
You can, it's the same as Dual Crossfire ('Quadfire').

Unless you have at least a 2560 x 1440/2560 x 1600 monitor, using even a single 7990 is huge overkill, and would be a complete waste of money. You may even see reduced frames over your 7970 CF due to scaling/driver issues.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Upgrade the monitor before you upgrade anything else. Assuming that monitor there is 1920x1080/1200. 7970 crossfire is even overkill for that.
redface.gif

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your 7970 CF are a better setup comparing to 7990.
They run higher clocks, run cooler, quieter and have a higher OC potential.

If you have 2000$ to spend on GPU (2x7990) and really want to do it (even though it's a serious overkill for single monitor) setup, you should probably get SLI Titans.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I highly doubt it man, a single 7970 if overclocked properly is already shredding single 1080p performance numbers, I dont know quite what you are trying to achieve, but man if your honestly thinking about dropping 2k on vid cards and not running a triple display setup, spend your money on size, your monitor is absolutely miniscule, get your self at least a quality 60" panel distance yourself from the wall and enjoy some real immersive gaming.

Edit: Got caught up in the swing of the thread.. your origonal post was about what cpu to get.. honestly man if your clocks are as they say they are, there is no need to upgrade cpu's, that o/c'd 2700 will last you a good long while before bottlenecking, and really no need to upgrade vid cards... (again necked by a single monitor) if you are hell bent on single monitor gaming, it's either up the resolution (wich is currently limited to 2560x1440 on screens 30" or smaller) or you go for sheer size at 1080p res.

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glina View Post

Your 7970 CF are a better setup comparing to 7990.
They run higher clocks, run cooler, quieter and have a higher OC potential.

If you have 2000$ to spend on GPU (2x7990) and really want to do it (even though it's a serious overkill for single monitor) setup, you should probably get SLI Titans.
I second this^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertoxic View Post

do u guys think 1 titan would be better then my 7970's on 1 monitor?
Yes, the Titan itself is a GTX 785 if you will, it's a GPU to hold us off till the GTX 7xx and HD 8xxx series comes out. So if you want good SINGLE Card/Single GPU performance for No SLI/CF issues, go Titan or OC the dog crap out of your 7970...or go home lol

To answer your question in OP, a 2700K at 4.4-4.8+Ghz should not hold you back in a GPU game. (Crysis 1-3, BF3, BL2, Mafia II, Far Cry 3, Arma 3, Etc)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandraseth View Post

I highly doubt it man, a single 7970 if overclocked properly is already shredding single 1080p performance numbers, I dont know quite what you are trying to achieve, but man if your honestly thinking about dropping 2k on vid cards and not running a triple display setup, spend your money on size, your monitor is absolutely miniscule, get your self at least a quality 60" panel distance yourself from the wall and enjoy some real immersive gaming.
60'' seriously is ridiculous lol

·
GPU Prices too damn high!
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

Not to mention the input lag, and ghosting issues with an HDTV.

If it were up to me I'd keep the 2 7970's in crossfire and use the other money to buy one of those 27" Korean IPS screens that are all the rage right now.
If not I would settle for a 27" Dell UltraSharp.

OR one of these Ive been eyeballin' it for a few days now. But I have no idea how gaming resolution would work with it.:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=225-4201

But yes I have to agree after watching that youtube video that screen looks pathetic what is that 20"?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosai View Post

Not to mention the input lag, and ghosting issues with an HDTV.

If it were up to me I'd keep the 2 7970's in crossfire and use the other money to buy one of those 27" Korean IPS screens that are all the rage right now.
If not I would settle for a 27" Dell UltraSharp.

OR one of these Ive been eyeballin' it for a few days now. But I have no idea how gaming resolution would work with it.:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=225-4201

But yes I have to agree after watching that youtube video that screen looks pathetic what is that 20"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

Ok first off 60" is far from rediculous, as for the input lag and ghosting, alot of the newer hdtv's can more than hold their own when it comes to input lag, and ghosting is a thing of the past on newer sets both lcd/plasma.

·
978 Posts
Well, Im sure newer HDTV's have improved, and I was referring to a setup I had back in 2010 with a gaming rig I had hooked up to a 42" LCD.

OP If you do end up getting a 60" or any HDTV for that matter for gaming please do yourself a favor and look at the specs Hz/ms time are key features.

And here's an idea of what you could do instead of having to sit on a couch with mouse and keyboarrd or worse a gamepad.
doh.gif

Again this was back in 2010 and I believe I took these pics for a friend in Bulgaria who was curious to see my then gaming setup:

Yes those are tools and some extras I was working on my current sig rig where it was in my office. Which isnt pictured the blue rig was a weaker gaming rig.
Don't laugh, everything in those pics have been sold since I moved to another country a few months ago....

My point is if you did end up getting a huge HDTV you could at least get a desk or a table and put infront of your TV as I did in the above pics.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you guys are right, ill just stick with my 7970's and maybe get a 3d monitor to play crysis 3 and bf3 on, i thinking ASUS VG278H 27IN. and stupid question but my 7970 support 3d right?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also i do have a 42 inch panasonic viera plasma TV ill try that and see how it works out, nice setup btw wow man bf3 or crysis on that setup would just be freaking amazing. ill try my hdtv and see how it goes if i dont like it ill just get a 3d monitor.

this is the monitor i was looking at
http://www.frys.com/product/7168402?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

i should not have any problems with 3d on gaming right? with 7970's

·
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertoxic View Post

also i do have a 42 inch panasonic viera plasma TV ill try that and see how it works out, nice setup btw wow man bf3 or crysis on that setup would just be freaking amazing. ill try my hdtv and see how it goes if i dont like it ill just get a 3d monitor.

this is the monitor i was looking at
http://www.frys.com/product/7168402?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

i should not have any problems with 3d on gaming right? with 7970's
The HD7970 does have AMD HD3D support.

Wise choice on keeping your cards, now you wont have to deal with having to sell them and end up losing money, besides like everyone has already said 2x7970's are overkill for 1080p I used to have 2x 7970 lightning's and decided to sell one before I did the other just because I realized I didn't need so much GPU power.

Edit: You might want to reads this article before purchasing that screen, aparently 3D can only be used with one AMD card not CFX..... Then again this is a two year old article so Im not sure if they changed it by now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tridef-stereoscopic-3d-gaming,3019.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts