Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My granddad does a lot of photography/image editing and video encoding.

He is currently running an old Pentium 4.

I said that I would make it better for him, here is what I had in mind:

Q8300 - £102
Samsung F3 1TB HDD - £60

I explained to him that Core 2 Quad > Pentium 4 and told him it would encode faster however when I considered a Q8200 everyone here went eww.

He will never ever overclock.

For video editing, image editing and backing up DVD's (just in case) would the Q8300 be the best budget friendly option?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
If you could afford it, a Q9550 or Q9400 will be better options

The Q8000 series suffers very bad from a lack of cache which actually can put it behind E8xxx CPU's in encoding.

They are also poor overclockers, you do say he won't be overclocking, but many people get the itch to.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me, he would break a world record for oldest overclocker.

So the Q9400 is good then? I have a feeling a Q9550 may be breaking the bank for them a little. He said he would have to save a while just to raise £150 for a HDD and CPU.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 775.

My dad built it just before mine (a few months before I think) and mine has the legendary 795X chipset and mine supports it so I will ask my dad to dig out the receipt just to double check.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonshorty
View Post

It's a 775.

My dad built it just before mine (a few months before I think) and mine has the legendary 795X chipset and mine supports it so I will ask my dad to dig out the receipt just to double check.

Make sure the board can handle the newer 45nm Core 2 Quads. Some older 775 boards could only work with the 65nm Core 2 Quads.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
It may also need a BIOS update to run a newer CPU even if it is supported. I'd check that, too. You could always buy a used Q6xxx. It would still be a huge improvement.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonshorty
View Post

Trust me, he would break a world record for oldest overclocker.

I hold some WR for overclocking on air. I will have to check if I am also the oldest overclocker--65 in January

Edit : 3rd fastest Q9650 on air
http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=851

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
seriously he should do it to get his ass into the guiness book

1 - 11 of 11 Posts