Overclock.net banner

Best CPU under $150?

2K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  foneone 
#1 ·
I'm not totally new to OC'ing, but there is more that I don't know than I do know. I'm looking to upgrade my Athlon XP 2600+ 266MHz FSB, and I'm looking to do it with a tight budget. So far I've found an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton 333MHz FSB, which according to the specs, the stock speed is the same as my current OC'ed speed. How much better is the 2800+ with a 333MHz FSB than the 2600+ with a 266MHz FSB?

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Well... if you wanna switch to Intel... $120 for a P4 2.4AE (prescott)... I've got mine to 4.012Ghz on air... lol... I'm like ThE_GeNeRaL of cpu's... trying to steal ppl over to intel...

lol
AND no one coming too!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brahmabull754

Thanks everyone I guess I'm grabbin the 2400-M :shades2:

Superb choice! Thinking about building up an XP-M system myself just to see how far I can push it, then probably turn it into a 24/7 folder without a monitor

Thought about building up a p4 for the same reason, those oc'd p4's fold like mad.

#24 ·
i would take the 2400 personally, i think the main differences are the default multis.. but the multis will default to 600 anyways, and the multis are unlocked, so you should be able to get a good overclock with the 2400, though i have heard that the 25/2600 will get you better overclocks... im just not sure about the A steppings, though ive been out of the AMD loop for a while, i have a Evil Brother who is die hard AMD freak

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist
i would take the 2400 personally, i think the main differences are the default multis.. but the multis will default to 600 anyways, and the multis are unlocked, so you should be able to get a good overclock with the 2400, though i have heard that the 25/2600 will get you better overclocks... im just not sure about the A steppings, though ive been out of the AMD loop for a while, i have a Evil Brother who is die hard AMD freak
I was told that the stepping help a little but it doesn't make a big difference is that true? does anyone know what the highest speed these cpu go up to with ok air cooling?

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.