Overclock.net banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You guys are the best! I really appreciate you sticking with me and explaining things.

Based on what your manual says, you only get quad channel up to the point where all channels have the same capacity. Two 2GB sticks in two channels and one 2GB stick and one 8GB stick in the other two allows quad channel mode up to 4GB in each channel (16GB total) and the 6GB "extra" in the two 8GB DIMMs is accessed in dual or single channel mode (the manual makes it sound like single channel, but it could be dual since they do match).
This is very helpful.

You are going to have to fiddle with it either way if you don't run matched sticks. The voltage is set by XMP, but 1.6V should be fine for anything that isn't DDR3L.
The new sticks (which have been marked up $6 since yesterday) are 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24, which is the current setting for all the memory channels (at 1.6V). I'm hoping I can just pop them in.

This would make tuning easiest, but would also offer the least interleaving and least performance.Then you probably want to be running all identical DIMMs.
Really appreciate the explanations. Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm happy to report that the 2 x 8GB patriot viper sticks have arrived and I shuffled the existing sticks around a bit and put the new, bigger sticks into slots B1 and D1 (which are the suggested ones to use if you only have two sticks) and everything seems to be working swell. I haven't run a benchmark or anything, but I didn't even have to fiddle with the BIOS. I've already seen the new RAM utilized during a Blender render. So far so good.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts