Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. Which drill bit should I use for drilling holes in my Antec 900? I was thinking about going with a hole saw but I only need small holes about an inch in diameter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a good buy, since it'll probably last me a while. rep+ for the suggestion. Do you think that the step bit coupled with a normal, cordless drill will be enough to cut through a case?

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
+Step bits reign supreme when it comes to clean holes, but generally I've only seen them go up to 1 3/4" in diameter. Anything farther and a holesaw would be best.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy S
View Post

Seems like a good buy, since it'll probably last me a while. rep+ for the suggestion. Do you think that the step bit coupled with a normal, cordless drill will be enough to cut through a case?

Yes it will I have used one on mine many times, and my cordless drill is a Black and decker 14.4v POS!
side note: I need a new case

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I used a dremmel with circular cutting discs. If you're patient and have had a bit of practice you can do a decent job doing square or rectangles, circles are kinda tough though.
A holesaw works, but I could never find one that worked on metal...

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezixn
View Post

I used a dremmel with circular cutting discs. If you're patient and have had a bit of practice you can do a decent job doing square or rectangles, circles are kinda tough though.
A holesaw works, but I could never find one that worked on metal...

dremmel's are total crap for something like this. really my opinion is they are highly over rated for most pc modding. a traditional drillbit or a step down bit would be ideal here.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Step drill bits are best for drilling holes in sheet metal. While other bits can deform the hole. the step will not.

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
After many different trials, errors, and successes, I cannot stress enough the importance of a good, powerful drill (preferrably corded but a good strong cordless will work) and a hole saw with a guide bit. You can buy the hole saws with or without the arbor that has the pilot bit in the center. I cannot recommend this bit enough. It makes slicing holes a breeze. In fact, just yesterday, I breezed my way through some cable management holes and didn't bother dismantling the system first. This is not recommended for best results as you can cause some serious damage if you are not careful.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
use a drillbit with the special coating to cut through metal, dont use a bit designed for wood. I tried it and and it unraveled. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts