Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good fan controller. I have an antec 900 and with all those fans it gets quite loud.

I would like something that can monitor temperatures, but that is not mandatory.

Any suggestions of personal favorites?
Thanks

·
Not so new to OCN
1,994 Posts
I have a Zalman Z-MFC2 and it's quite nice, you can monitor 4 fans and 4 temp probes, as well know the power your computer draws from the wall socket.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoon
View Post

I have a Zalman Z-MFC2 and it's quite nice, you can monitor 4 fans and 4 temp probes, as well know the power your computer draws from the wall socket.

Does it happen to include any temp probes?

·
Not so new to OCN
1,994 Posts
Yes, it includes the temp probes and some fan cable extensions.

EDIT: I can post a photo of it working if you'd like.

·
Not so new to OCN
1,994 Posts
Here's the photo for the sake of it

Don't mind the 3ºC on the 2nd probe... I think I broke it lol. It's reading 20C short.

303w on idle, from one of the PSUs. The other only holds HDDs, DVD drives, fans and CCFL.
Probes are set as: Room temp. HDD temp. graphics card shell temp. RAM temp

• Rep+
Reactions: Abadon125

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Zalman MFC2 looks really nice, but as you have said and other reviews I've read about it state that it is not very reliable. They also say that it is seriously lacking in support for 4 pin fan connectors.

·
Not so new to OCN
1,994 Posts
Well, usually 4 pin fans are mostly used by CPU HSFs and most of the users leave the CPU cooling control to the system itself so I understand the lack of PWM control. I do have my CPU fan attached to the MFC2 (3rd fan), its a noctua, only 3 pin. I could have connected that to the mobo, but before I did I didn't know how noisy it would be. I guess even at max speed I can't hear it above the case fans.

Well, the wattage display may not be (and I'm aware of that) too reliable, but none the less it gives me an idea on how much my computer is drawing. Playing Crysis that bar will shoot off to over 550W, adding a max of the 2nd PSU is taking from the drives and other stuff (about 50w), my computer draws approximately 600W of power.

As Ducky stated Skythe Kaze master bay is also a great fan controller. I just prefered the zalman due to its design.

·
Old Fart
611 Posts
I really like the Kaze master in my 900. But the problem I found was the molex connectors for the stock fans. Either you have to get adapters for the molex off the fans to three pin for the back of a controller or replace the stock antec fans. Well I replaced the fans for the simple reason that even if I got the adapters the controller wouldnt read the rpm from the fans, the stock fans only have two wires and no rpm read wire. The stock fans are pretty good fans, so I retained one of them for the window slot and replaced the rest with these http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1blle.html affordable and quiet, plus they look better in my opinion.

• Rep+
Reactions: Abadon125

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMarshallBill
View Post

If you are good at soldering, for reliability, I would buy a rheostat. This one from radio shack is 3W which will only control one of those fans maybe two because everything is overbuilt. Obviously this has no temp monitoring but it will always work.

Sounds a bit to technical for me at this stage in life. Perhaps durring college I will have time to fool around with that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little unrelated, but does anyone have a suggestion for a cpu heatsink (socket 775) that will fit on a 780i in a antec 900? I can't find anything in my 30-50$ price range that looks really good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts