Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be putting an H50 in my P180 Mini eventually, but I'd like to know what's the best setup I can get in terms of fan/shroud placement.

I'll definitely be using 120x25mm fans, because I don't want to use a fan controller and don't want anything noisy (and I don't know of any worthwhile 120x37mm fans that are under 30db, like the GentleTyphoons), so between the two fans and the H50 rad, that leaves me with about 50mm to work with in terms of shroud space.

What would be the best way to make use of that space? Two 25mm shrouds? One 50mm shroud (and where should I put it)? A 37.5mm and a 12.5mm shroud (and in what configuration)?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd use a real shroud that is as big as you can fit. Fan bodies make okay shrouds but real shrouds are simply better. Granted, on a single, a fan body doesn't block as much of rad the as it would on a multi. Nevertheless, it will block more than a proper shroud.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veltri View Post
I'd use a real shroud that is as big as you can fit. Fan bodies make okay shrouds but real shrouds are simply better. Granted, on a single, a fan body doesn't block as much of rad the as it would on a multi. Nevertheless, it will block more than a proper shroud.
Well, I actually might be able to get my brother to make me some squares out of acrylic (since he works with it), I just have to give him the proper dimensions and figure out a way to screw it onto the rad and the fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
1 inch shroud is all you need. That would be 25mm

FAN-Shroud-RAD------> outside your pc

That is the most optimum way. Next get a Scythe typhoon and NEVER look back. I waited 6 months for my typhoons and let me tell you, THEY ROCK!
Really? Wouldn't fan-shroud-rad-shroud-fan (or at least a fan at the end) be better? I don't know how much you know about the Antec P180 Mini, but if I were to mount the H50 in one of the front intakes (like I plan to do), there's a metal grate, a dust filter, and a plastic grate going inside to outside of the case, which probably restricts airflow a bit...I figured an extra fan right up against all of that would bring in more air...

·
404 ERROR
925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veltri View Post
Bigger does not always mean better. Check out the 2nd and 3rd charts on this page. Its good information with hard data rather than internet hearsay. (It seems I've been using these test as reference a lot lately. Thanks Martin @ Skinneelabs
)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts