Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use Bullzip and in the past have used PDFCreator (although not recently since (a) PDFcreator installs its own Ghostscript which conflicts with Ghostscript used by Windows LaTeX editors, and (b) it's recently reported to have started including some adware).

At my university they have PDF reDirect, which I've used and it makes pretty decent PDFs.

So what I'm wondering is, should I stick with Bullzip, switch to PDF reDirect, or is there another free driver out there that people swear by?

Main conditions:

1. Has to make way smaller PDFs than Office 2k7's or 2k10's built-in PDF saver (srsly, there is no good reason for a 1 page document to be 256K in size when the free driver can make it like 10K)
2. Has to be able to output varying PDF qualities from screen viewing to professional quality for high-end color lasers (the second is important because I'm going to be writing a thesis for my doctorate and I need to meet the library's PDF quality requirements, especially as I plan to import images from Excel and the like). Last time for my Master's I think I outputted the PDF with non-adwared PDFCreator or an older Bullzip, either way set to the highest quality possible.

So... suggestions?

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thinking about settling on Bullzip as I hear it has a 64-bit executable, which is a plus in my book.
smile.gif
Other suggestions, even if just to say "yes, get BZ"?
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
When I want to print to PDF I use CutePDF. Free, simple and just works. May not be exactly what you are looking for but thought I might point ya in some direction.

• Rep+
Reactions: Quantum Reality

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. MIght give that a go.
smile.gif
Take some rep.

Anyone else got suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
thx for you share.I have checked that.it works but somewhat complex.Once I used Adobe Acrobat. but it becomes more and more expensive for public users who haven;t got many pdf files to process. here I would like to share with you the tool Im using now ,it is denefinitly easier to handle.This pdf print driver will enable you to do a wide variety of ways to print pdf document or a cretain pdf page in just a few clicks.You can download the free trail package and have a try.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I use PDFCreator without any problems but that won't help you any. Before that, I used CutePDF but didn't find it as flexible as PDFCreator. Still, it may meet your needs. For simple PDFs (single page or multiple pages that are standard sizes and all the same size and orientation), I've found a virtual printer, such as CutePDF or PDFCreator, to be fastest. For more complex PDFs or for searchable PDFs, I prefer Adobe Acrobat Standard (currently, version XI). Acrobat can also be used to edit PDFs (up to a point).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts