Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! you know I'm intrested in owning a gaming laptop because I do travel a LOT! from 12~18 hours in a plane kills me! now I use a netbook "asus 1201n" with ION chipset and it barely runs any decent game even my old TMNT from 2005 runs at 21fps! and last time I was forced to play trackmania at minimal settings though I could run it at medium w/ decent frames but to save some power for extra battery life!

now I need a laptop w/ decent GPU and maximum battery life! not the best but decent enough to play games on high
teaching.gif
I do care for battery life after all
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
156 Posts
I hear the Alienware M11x is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynny;13074629
What kind of games are you looking to play?

You're going to have a hard time finding a performance laptop with a decent battery life. The faster it is, generally the more power it's gonna use.
if your really serious, id just buy a nice gaming laptop and then buy an extra battery for it.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Macbook Pro's have a graphics switching; you can completely disable the discrete graphics chip and use the integrated one and get 6+ hours of regular battery use, and pop the discrete back on when you want to game (the software will automagically switch between the integrated and discrete options based on load, but sometimes the discrete is enabled unnecessarily and wears down battery).

On the Windows side... there are more and more options becoming available that offer the same kind of battery life as a MBP, thanks to Optimus and Sandy Bridge. They're only trickling out to market now, so if you can wait, that's your best option.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynny;13074629
What kind of games are you looking to play?

You're going to have a hard time finding a performance laptop with a decent battery life. The faster it is, generally the more power it's gonna use.
All games my friend, but i'm more foucsed on games that are compatible with 360 controllers because the lack of space for mouse in the middle of flight

An extra battery is a must but the question is how many cells for one battery they could provide
smile.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfemaN;13074721
Macbook Pro's have a graphics switching; you can completely disable the discrete graphics chip and use the integrated one and get 6+ hours of regular battery use, and pop the discrete back on when you want to game (the software will automagically switch between the integrated and discrete options based on load, but sometimes the discrete is enabled unnecessarily and wears down battery).

On the Windows side... there are more and more options becoming available that offer the same kind of battery life as a MBP, thanks to Optimus and Sandy Bridge. They're only trickling out to market now, so if you can wait, that's your best option.
Sorry dude, macs are really cool computers but i need a PC to play games with and bootcamp is somewhat doesn't cut it, weak wifi signal and slow and i cant replace the battery if the first one is drained and that IS a problem
smile.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it appears that the alienware M15x basic specs will be the choice of mine!
how about it?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Skip the M15x, if you want solid battery life. They're fantastic machines, but not built for ultra-mobility. The M14x was recently leaked; that might turn things around.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but... Don't planes have power outlets for electronics nowadays? Anyways, how about a Sager? New 32nm SNB CPU's for increased power efficiency, better warranty than AW and highly configurable. Since your looking for battery life I'd recommend the NP5160. Has a GT540m with Optimus so it can switch back to the IGP when not running anything graphically demanding.

Sager NP5160

If You need more power than the NP8130 and 8150 are next on the list.

NP8130

NP8150

I'm going to be honest now. You won't, or should I say can't find a gaming grade notebook with great battery life.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by emc_2
View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but... Don't planes have power outlets for electronics nowadays? Anyways, how about a Sager? New 32nm SNB CPU's for increased power efficiency, better warranty than AW and highly configurable. Since your looking for battery life I'd recommend the NP5160. Has a GT540m with Optimus so it can switch back to the IGP when not running anything graphically demanding.

Sager NP5160

If You need more power than the NP8130 and 8150 are next on the list.

NP8130

NP8150

I'm going to be honest now. You won't, or should I say can't find a gaming grade notebook with great battery life.

true! but I do travel to dubai a lot using airlines that don't have power outlets otherwise I wouldn't bother to ask here

will be looking for sager products now... thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts