Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2x 6950 1gig cards in crossfire and i am looking to upgrade my gpus with my new system i am building i will only be running 1080p. looking for recomendations im pretty much looking for best possible gpus for 1080p even if i have to run dual 6990 or tri sli gtx580. (Will be using ASUS MAXIMUSIV-EXTREME-Z Z68 ) for my new motherboard.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodz;15336444
I currently have 2x 6950 1gig cards in crossfire and i am looking to upgrade my gpus with my new system i am building i will only be running 1080p. looking for recomendations im pretty much looking for best possible gpus for 1080p even if i have to run dual 6990 or tri sli gtx580. (Will be using ASUS MAXIMUSIV-EXTREME-Z Z68 ) for my new motherboard.
Don't waste your money. Dual 6950s run everything right now. Zero need to upgrade.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,521 Posts
Heck, I can max nearly anything with just one 6950/6970 on a 1920x1080 screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt;15336470
Don't waste your money. Dual 6950s run everything right now. Zero need to upgrade.
They will run most games not all games at max settings. i was unable to run battle field 3 beta at ultra even with AA off. i was hitting the 1 gig memory cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
580 sli is probably what you'd have to do to see a big difference in performance compared to your current gpu's, and even then it's not THAT big of a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodz;15336587
if i were to add another 6950 for trifire would it make much of a difference at 1080p. i know at higher resolutions it would but not sure at 1080p.
Since you've got the 1gb 6950's, I wouldn't invest in another one. That's a lot of money for three gpu's with 1gb of vram.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodz;15336520
They will run most games not all games at max settings. i was unable to run battle field 3 beta at ultra even with AA off. i was hitting the 1 gig memory cap.
So it doesn't run 1 game at max. Is that really worth hundreds just so you can get an incredibly marginal increase in graphics for one game, or is it more about just knowing you're maxing it out than the actual graphical improvement? IMO, you should hold off buying ANY gpu for a particular game until it has actually been released.

Btw, you should probably change the title of this thread to something closer, like ' best gpu to max BF3 @ 1080p'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt;15337564
So it doesn't run 1 game at max. Is that really worth hundreds just so you can get an incredibly marginal increase in graphics for one game, or is it more about just knowing you're maxing it out than the actual graphical improvement? IMO, you should hold off buying ANY gpu for a particular game until it has actually been released.

Btw, you should probably change the title of this thread to something closer, like ' best gpu to max BF3 @ 1080p'.
I know. its just about knowing that i am maxing the card out and this thread has nothing to do with bf3 i was using battle field 3 beta and metro 2033 as and example of how i am hitting the vram cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
This is just a waste of money lol....but if you really need more memory upgrade to a single 570/6970 they have 2gb models I believe the 570 even has 2.5gb model.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,446 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by FuNkDrSpOt
View Post

So it doesn't run 1 game at max. Is that really worth hundreds just so you can get an incredibly marginal increase in graphics for one game, or is it more about just knowing you're maxing it out than the actual graphical improvement? IMO, you should hold off buying ANY gpu for a particular game until it has actually been released.

Btw, you should probably change the title of this thread to something closer, like ' best gpu to max BF3 @ 1080p'.

Couldn't agree more.


Hitting the VRAM cap is not the same as exceeding your VRAM limitations - the difference is immense.

Being at or around the cap will perhaps give you slight stutters here and there. Constantly exceeding it, will leave the game unplayable as soon as you are loaded in. We're talking about framerates that are bottoming out at zero, for the most part, where it takes a long while even to exit the game and fix your settings. THAT would be significant limitation right there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
I had a mix of both playing BF3's beta w/ Ultra settings on Metro in the upper part of the subway. At first it was glorious! Looked just like the trailer! NO JAGGIES! Then the 1st hitch came, then it was ok...no...that's not right...aarragh...what is going on...3.3FPS, clunk, clunk...POOF!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top