Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I want to know in your opinion which graphics card would you pick if you were planning on doing macro programming, using Visual Studio 2012, compiling, using Adobe Suite, working on big programs, multitasking and the works. Really won't need it for gaming that much.
I was thinking about getting the AMD Radeon HD 7970 but don't know if I need that powerful of a graphics card to do all that I mentioned. Please advise
smile.gif

Here's my planned system:

Graphics Adapter: ???
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
System Memory: 16 GB [2x 8GB] DDR3-1866 Corsair Vengeance
Hard Disk / SSD: 250 GB SSD + 1,0 TB hard disk drive
CPU Cooler: 3x120mm Silent Zalman CNPS12X High Performance
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Case: NZXT Phantom Big-Tower black
Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 | 750W (80+ Gold)

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adobe Suite CUDA ready? Hmmmm...first time I am hearing that Adobe programs are CUDA ready! But the real question is how do CUDA graphics cards differ from AMD when using applications such as Adobe? Because as I see it, the GTX 650 is slower than the Radeon 7970. So even if Adobe is CUDA ready wouldn't it lack speed and pixel rate?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0m1n13 View Post

Adobe Suite CUDA ready? Hmmmm...first time I am hearing that Adobe programs are CUDA ready! But the real question is how do CUDA graphics cards differ from AMD when using applications such as Adobe? Because as I see it, the GTX 650 is slower than the Radeon 7970. So even if Adobe is CUDA ready wouldn't it lack speed and pixel rate?
Yes it's slower, if you can afford the 7970 buy something in the same price range but from nVidia. 670 or 680

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
680 4GB is the best option available now (For consumer cards)

You can also look into the Quadro series marketed towards rendering

As far as "How powerful do I need my card to be" it depends on A) your programs B) how valuable your time is. a GPU slow enough may cause a bottlenecks in the programs you're running

The 680 4GB can be found for $400 new

·
Registered
5,409 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanstasiu View Post

As far as "How powerful do I need my card to be" it depends on A) your programs B) how valuable your time is. a GPU slow enough may cause a bottlenecks in the programs you're running

$400? link please.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Quote:

$400? link please.
It was at Futureshop a month or two ago. Currently $470.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use an AMD FirePro V7900 for 3D animation (Autodesk Maya/Mudbox) and the Adobe Creative Suite (currently using CS5). Looking in the Photoshop preferences, it supports OpenGL.

I may be mistaken, but OpenGL and Cuda are AMD and Nvidia features respectively.

Unless you intend to do some seriously intense 3D work, you're better off with a high end consumer card (7970, 680 etc) or a low end workstation card (my V7900 has been superseded by the W7000, but that's like a mid-high end workstation card).

Just don't expect a workstation card to work well with games.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post

Geez, for what the OP needs a vidcard for, a 650 or 660 is plenty.
Title of the thread: Best Graphic card ???

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0m1n13 View Post

Hey guys!

I want to know in your opinion which graphics card would you pick if you were planning on doing macro programming, using Visual Studio 2012, compiling, using Adobe Suite, working on big programs, multitasking and the works. Really won't need it for gaming that much.
I was thinking about getting the AMD Radeon HD 7970 but don't know if I need that powerful of a graphics card to do all that I mentioned. Please advise
smile.gif
It's absolutely unnecessary to use a 7970 or 680 for Visual Studio 2012. A low tier gpu like GTX 650 or AMD 7770 is more than capable to handle what you desire.

·
Registered
264 Posts
RE: Adobe suite, Open GL works for Photoshop, but NOT for Premiere Pro CS6 (or CS5 AFAIK) or other CS applications such as After Effects. As you can see from the link, technically, there's an exception for a couple of Radeon chips found in MacPros. I've read that it's possible to do an easy "hack" (literally add one line via text editor) so that other Radeon cards will work, BUT you still have to run the required or newer version of Mac OS. In short, for Windows OS, except for Photoshop, you need a NVidia GPU to take advantage of GPU acceleration in Adobe CS. That MAY change - an Adobe rep posted that full Open GL support possible though it's "difficult" to implement. Be great for consumers if that happens, but who when or even if it will. IIRC, Adobe & NVidia have some sort of partnership for GPU acceleration. RE: Photoshop, I've read in a few different places that only "pro" cards (ex. Quadro) output at 10bit color. Not sure if that makes a difference (or 100% true), but FYI for your research.

As for the "best" card, strictly speaking, the new Titan is the "best", but certainly not if you consider price unless you frequently do heavy GPU computing with CUDA only applications. My suggestion is to consider a GTX670. It's close to a GTX680 in terms of performance (especially if overclocked), but saves you about $100 or so vs. a GTX680 (according to NewEgg prices). While perhaps "overkill" for some cases, the GTX600 series is nerfed in terms of GPU compute (other than the Titan of course), so going to GTX660, GTX 650 or lower level card might result in less than desired performance in such cases. Better to have a little more than you need than the other way around IMO. I'm not all that familiar with the entire Adobe CS, but those applications tend to use quite a bit of memory. So while my guess is that 2GB is enough, I can't say for certain. It might be best to call Adobe or check out their forums regarding VRAM size for whatever applications you use.

·
Premium Member
20,299 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't know if it may help OP but i bought my GTX680 for two purposes, one for gaming, but the other to work with Adobe AE & Illustrator. Adobe primarily use's Nvidia cards for the grunt work, if you plan to use Ray Tracing in Adobe at all then a Nvidia card is what your gonna need. Id rather there was more support for AMD cards in this environment but Nvidia seems to be the chosen one, so to speak.

Personally id go with Nvidia > GTX670 > GTX680 > GTX690 or Quadro Series ?

The extra CUDA cores in the GTX680 may make a difference, but tbh the GTX670 should work just as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
In short, for Windows OS, except for Photoshop, you need a NVidia GPU to take advantage of GPU acceleration in Adobe CS.
I heard and read an article that when using Adobe programs such as PS, Premiere, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, etc, Nvidia is the way to go because of it's CUDA cores and CUDA integration.

I might consider a GTX 660Ti due do the great price and performance as you can see below:

Second thing, the processor.... i7-3930K... I think it is also too much, might be thinking about the -7-3820, its lower brother, still six cores but not clockable. What you guys think ?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:

Title of the thread: Best Graphic card ???
However, what the OP said in the post was "which graphics card would you pick if you were planning on doing macro programming, using Visual Studio 2012, compiling, using Adobe Suite, working on big programs, multitasking and the works. Really won't need it for gaming that much."

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBlahMan View Post

It's absolutely unnecessary to use a 7970 or 680 for Visual Studio 2012. A low tier gpu like GTX 650 or AMD 7770 is more than capable to handle what you desire.
Yup, Visual Studio is a code development and debugging tool for C/C++, strickly 2D.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts