Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a top end graphics card that is either passively cooled or has a dead silent (<25db) fan. Overclocking the gpu is probably not an option.

This 5750 is the closest I've found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-300-_-Product

I'd prefer a slightly faster graphics card (and am willing to pay more $), but may settle with the 5750.

This is for a p180 matx case and Rampage II GENE LGA mobo. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Many of the new 57xx and 58xx series cards have great cooling solutions when it comes to sound output.

Most falling under your 25db limit.
You really don't need much grunt judging by the rest of your system and since you're powering 3 monitors suggesting a 5 series ATI card is a no brainier. I think that 5750 will do you fine. It'll be considerably faster than your current video card.

If you can go for a 5770/5850 as it'll be more video card than you're apt to use for a number of years.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovlovian
View Post

Many of the new 57xx and 58xx series cards have great cooling solutions when it comes to sound output.

Most falling under your 25db limit.
You really don't need much grunt judging by the rest of your system and since you're powering 3 monitors suggesting a 5 series ATI card is a no brainier. I think that 5750 will do you fine. It'll be considerably faster than your current video card.

If you can go for a 5770/5850 as it'll be more video card than you're apt to use for a number of years.

the card I linked to is the only 57 or 58 series i've ever seen below 25. The sapphire line has a lot in the 40db range (peak) which is amongst the quietest.

this rig is an overclocked i7 920, 6gb 1600mhz ram, intel ssd. If I get the 5750 it will be the main gaming bottleneck.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by avaya
View Post

the card I linked to is the only 57 or 58 series i've ever seen below 25. The sapphire line has a lot in the 40db range (peak) which is amongst the quietest.

this rig is an overclocked i7 920, 6gb 1600mhz ram, intel ssd. If I get the 5750 it will be the main gaming bottleneck.

Just going off your sig rig. With all that grunt I'd just run a 5850 at lowered fan settings. Should be fine.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
When i owned my 5850 it wasnt that loud until i hammered it..

Really, when youre pushing things, its likely going to crank up, but normally it was as quiet as my 8800 GTS which isnt that loud either

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovlovian View Post
Just going off your sig rig. With all that grunt I'd just run a 5850 at lowered fan settings. Should be fine.
a 5850 is above 50db at full speed. No way it could run at 25db when in use.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
look into the 5970 2GB

·
Registered
297 Posts
How bout a 5850 + Prolimatech MK-13? Don't really know your price limit..

• Rep+
Reactions: avaya

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8ter
View Post

woh that mk-13 is a beast & I had not seen it before. I wonder if that combo would run fanless or more important fit in my p180 mini case!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Quote:

View Post

woh that mk-13 is a beast & I had not seen it before. I wonder if that combo would run fanless or more important fit in my p180 mini case!

My accelero s1 R2 is totally silent. I would probably pick up some better ramsinks though if I were to use it on a 5xxx card

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Whatever video card you want + the Prolimatech MK-13.... Will cool almost any low to upper mid-range card passively, or put two low rpm fans and it will be dead silent, with great cooling for any card on the market.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Pretty much depends on your airflow. You could put a fan laying down blowing upward on the divider part of the p180 mini and you'd be good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr8ter
View Post

having never installed an after market gpu heat sync I have a couple dumb questions for anyone that knows:
1. There are like 10 versions of the every type of graphics card. Should I get the cheapest?
2. Do I need anything else like arctic silver or separate fan mounts? I know I at also need a fan.
3. Should I be worried about the weight of this thing damaging the card or pci connection? The designers probably had full atx in mind (my case is p180 mini).

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
1.) No, but I would go with VisionTek HD5850, lifetime warranty, good customer service. Just a reference design, so nothing fancy.

2.) It would be best to grab more thermal paste, I recommend: Shin Etsu G751

3.) It is rather heavy, which can cause some warping. But you can always use rubber bands to support it and take the strain off your PCIe slot.
Though, there's only been a few cases of PCIe damage from heavy coolers, but that's PC's shipping with HD5870's. But I've never seen a case of the PCIe slot or card being damaged by just sitting on your desk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by avaya View Post
having never installed an after market gpu heat sync I have a couple dumb questions for anyone that knows:
No such thing as a dumb question. What is dumb is driving forward without knowing the answers. I have been researching this cooler tonight. Check out these links:

http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...h_mk_13,1.html

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=448&Itemid=62

http://www.pureoverclock.com/article919.html

What I have taken away from reading the benchmarks/reviews is this is a very good cooler. Best cooling came from 2x120mm mounted on provided bracket facing sideways (pushing towards the back of the case). Passive cooling beat stock cooler in test rig. Heatpipes may interfere with VRM heatsinks on 260 GTX but you can always pick up some hs's that will fit better.

Chart from benchmarkreviews.com:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts