Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Well if you've been reading my posts you know I'm selling a 9800PRO and I'm getting a 6800GS AGP for another rig. My question to you is, which 6800GS has the highest unlock rate? I'm buying this card simply for the sake of unlocking it. Please post cards from either www.ncix.com or www.tigerdirect.com Thank you, Greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
I don't think any of the AGP 6800GS models unlock. Well, they can, but the pixel pipelines have been destroyed at the factory. I saw a few tests that showed a bunch of white pixels after the unlocking. I actually just ordered a 7800GS from Newegg, should be here by thursday
I wanted the 16 pipes, and it was only $75 more than the 6800GS.

• Rep+
Reactions: r3tard

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy1788

I don't think any of the AGP 6800GS models unlock. Well, they can, but the pixel pipelines have been destroyed at the factory. I saw a few tests that showed a bunch of white pixels after the unlocking. I actually just ordered a 7800GS from Newegg, should be here by thursday
I wanted the 16 pipes, and it was only $75 more than the 6800GS.

Humm intresting, when many people got the 6800GS before the release of the 7800GS they all unlocked. I guess after the 7800GS was released, they locked them up via hardware. I guess if you bought a used AGP 6800GS you might be in luck, but a new one, mabye not.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Really? I thought all those people who unlocked them were all PCI-Express cards.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
No, the PCIe version uses a different core than the AGP version.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laboitenoire

No, the PCIe version uses a different core than the AGP version.

So does that mean the PCI-Express versions unlock or the AGP versions unlock?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think for the money the 7800GS would be a far better investment. Seeing as its probobly gonna be the last good AGP card ever made

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
The AGP version was the only one that unlocked. And the 7800GS probably will be the last AGP card that is even released. AGP is considered dead to the graphics industry now.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Yes but the 6800GS AGP doesnt overclock worth a dang, im very saddened i cant even get to 380/1050 without artifacts

And the best model is the 7800GS.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hey, that's higher than stock 6800GT. The PCIe versions overclock like no other, I have mine at I think 531/1.17 no artifacting. Actually what I would say is upgrade to a PCIe motherboard on that rig because if you would want to get a newer video card later, you'd be able to.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I thought it was the AGP 6800GS that unlocked and the PCI-E version didnt. Im pretty positive actually.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah The Agp Unlocks To 16/6 From 12 Pipelines/5 Vertex

I Wish I Had Some Money To Upgrade To Pci-e.

Now I Am Stuck With 6600gt, X1600pro Or Aiw 9600

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes, the AGP versions can unlock and the PCI-E versions dont. Unfortunately with my PNY version, i was unable to unlock the last quad due to artifacting. I have heard many XFX and BFG cards can unlock all pipes and shaders.

edit: I was able to overclock mine to 420 core, 1200 memory on stock cooling (but max temps went to about 80 C)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts