Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a gtx 780 but don't know which.. I like EVGA , Asus etc

all the hype about the classy .. is it true that it overclocks like a beast or are the rumors true that they swapped out the memory for cheap memory?

im looking for a 780 for 1440 gaming .. all suggestions appreciated

in the uk the classy isnt much more than a normal acx for example its like £20-30 extra

I had bad expereience overclocking a gtx 680 classy would only overclock by +25 without crashing lol

·
Senior OCN Member
41,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asus11 View Post

all the hype about the classy .. is it true that it overclocks like a beast or are the rumors true that they swapped out the memory for cheap memory?

in the uk the classy isnt much more than a normal acx for example its like £20-30 extra

I had bad expereience overclocking a gtx 680 classy would only overclock by +25 without crashing lol
You know speaking from experience i think you would be better off with two GTX 770 cards

If you want max eye candy in all games in 1440P you need raw GPU power and you can only get that with two cards

I bought a GTX 680 thinking it was enough for 1440P

Turns out it was not enough so was forced to add another one to get 60 fps with max eyecandy in all games in 1440P

Just look

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have a gtx 690 for a day but it was faulty , SLI is out the option because I would have to take out my sound card & im not prepared to sacrifice my music! lol

but your right SLI would be good as theres some really good deal over here on gtx 670s for like £160 each new

·
Senior OCN Member
41,692 Posts
Quote:

I did have a gtx 690 for a day but it was faulty , SLI is out the option because I would have to take out my sound card & im not prepared to sacrifice my music! lol

but your right SLI would be good as theres some really good deal over here on gtx 670s for like £160 each new
You do know you can buy a PCI-E extension cable right?

Give you room for two video cards and a soundcard

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
didnt really think of that but seems like extra effort
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Quote:

I don't want to sound like an audiophile geek, but you won't be able to tell the difference between that X-Fi onboard motherboard sound chip and the Xonar unless you're running a pair of 300+ Ohm big money headphones and overdriving it. I think you can safely yank the STX and go SLI. =)

Greg

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

didnt really think of that but seems like extra effort
tongue.gif
If you want max settings and 1440p than the extra effort is certainly worth it. I would wait and see what the lighting has to offer before making a decision. If MSI is accurate in all their marketing (IF) than the lightning is going to be a beast and will most likely blow the classy out of the water.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
+1 for waiting for the lightning. If you need a card now, the Classy is the only voltage unlocked 780 I know of.

Even if your headphones are only OK, I wouldn't remove the STX for SLI. Also, single card solutions are always less of a hassle in the long run. I love my 6850s for 1440p, but I'm never going dual GPU again.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stx is going nowhere
smile.gif
have it connected to my maudio bx5a speakers also use sen hd 449 for daily use & denon 7000s for now and then

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
If you're in no hurry, wait till the Lightning comes out. It is highly unlikely that it won't have any advantages over the Classified since its already months since the Classy release.

As for the sucky 680, I think you really lucked out on that one. 780 Classys are doing much better than the reference ones.

As for the cheap memory, Lightnings are also using Elpida (the cheap one) like the Classys. But MSI's primary choice of memory is Samsung for the Lightning, so if you're lucky enough you'll get one with Samsung memory.
Even then, Elpida (on the Classy) is overclocking pretty well for a few users here. So again, if you're lucky your card's memory will overclock well too.

To sum it up - wait for the Lightning, check user reviews here on OCN. If it performs better than the Classy and is priced at the same level then get the Lightning. Otherwise, if prices are much higher than the Classy for similar performance, get a Classy then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

[-SNIP-]
I bought a GTX 680 thinking it was enough for 1440P
[-SNIP-]
[/SPOILER]
With all due respect, why would you think that? You seem too experienced to assume something like that.

Speaking for myself, even with an overclocked Titan I can't keep games locked at 60FPS (other than the likes of GRID 2) even with minimum amounts of AA. And I'm playing at 1080p too.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yesterday I would have said get EVGA but today I'm saying MSI. After 2 weeks of light use on stock bios my SC 780 with acx cooler developed coil-whine. It is going back to Amazon Monday and I already paid for overnight shipping for a MSI gaming 780. I suppose it can happen with any card and EVGA does have the best customer service but I'm trying a different brand this time that is more custom. I would wait for the Lightning but don't feel like going a week without a comp "or longer with limited supplies" and paying another $150.

For what it's worth, the acx cooler is silent and the card did 1202mhz with stock bios.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:

i personally have a gainward phantom glh 780. apparently seen as a cheap and nasty option by some (at least where i live) but has been flawless so far at 1440p. comes with 6200 memory by default which i really like. i do love evga though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

+1 for waiting for the lightning. If you need a card now, the Classy is the only voltage unlocked 780 I know of.

Even if your headphones are only OK, I wouldn't remove the STX for SLI. Also, single card solutions are always less of a hassle in the long run. I love my 6850s for 1440p, but I'm never going dual GPU again.
never going dual gpu again. may i ask why? i've always been curios about sli/crossfire but i'm too scared of micro stutter. did you experience any?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrona4411 View Post

never going dual gpu again. may i ask why? i've always been curios about sli/crossfire but i'm too scared of micro stutter. did you experience any?
I'm running dual 770s on a 1080P 144hz monitor. I don't see any noticeable microstutter. I often switch to one GPU for older games that I still enjoy, so I do have a reference point. I love SLI, I just wish there was 2.0 version coming soon to fix some of my complaints with it.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there may be another gtx 690 in the pipe line, just got to wait for a call back
smile.gif
ill be glad to get the gtx 690.. would be so much better for 1440

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrona4411 View Post

Micro stutter is real, but isn't really a problem for me. RadeonPro's frame limiting feature (along with various other tweaks) always fixed it when it was a problem.

But driver support is a problem. Sure, ultra mainstream "benchmark" titles like the Crysis/Battlefield series will get great crossfirex support. But smaller titles... that's a different story. Take Planetside 2... great game, very taxing, but you don't exactly see it reviewed on Anandtech all the time. Crossfire turns the game into a stuttering mess. For me, Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite had loads of problems at launch, and I've given up all hope for support in Planetary Annihilation and other great crowdfunded games.

With single cards, you're relying on the game devs for performance. With Crossfire (and SLI), it's the AMD/Nvidia driver teams responsibility to optimize EVERY game you play. There isn't enough manpower to make everything work smoothly... and for that reason, I will never rely on AMD/Nvidia again for driver support.

tl;dr Microstutter is easily fixable. Multi card setups are (usually) great for very mainstream games. Outside of that, things get messy in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:

there may be another gtx 690 in the pipe line, just got to wait for a call back
smile.gif
ill be glad to get the gtx 690.. would be so much better for 1440
Not necessarily. It all depends on what you play.

Also, you might actually save money if you just get 2 670s/7950s and a USB DAC/AMP anyway. There is a 7950 on sale for ~$180 right now... and that spare $600 could get you a pair of HE-400s with a very nice AMP.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I never noticed microstutter when I had 7970 crossfire, dont notice it now either with 780 SLi. I've used countless combinations of crossfire and sli. Nvidia has better multi-gpu support bar-none IMO. It all comes down to drivers and sli profiles. Nvidia seems more able to push out sli profiles faster and cover more games than amd is able to.

It will take 2 GTX 780's to get 60fps locked in just about all games (I think metro last light is the only exception to this currently). I started off with 1 780 to begin with, and at 1440P 1 card is not enough to get 60fps, you need 2.

As for which 780 to buy? I personally always go for EVGA cards when going with Nvidia. Mainly just because of their customer service, its top notch and has yet to be matched by any manufacturer. I won't go with a Gigabyte board ever again. bought 2 7970's that were gigabytes based off of reviews that touted overvolting being possible and high clocks being reached. Well Gigabyte did a revision on the board that locked the voltage, thus overclocking was severely limited. Gigabyte motherboards are top notch though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.