Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best HDD manufacturer out there, like Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why?

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
I like Seagate, good quality and a 5 year warrenty..I also like the Hitachi, they are fast and have a great price...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude
View Post

Because they make the fastest, most reliable drives. And they're cheap.

Awesome. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedEarth
View Post

I thought it was WD raptors for best HDD? or the Seagate perpendicular thingymebob!! lol one min man, get you a linky

For regular 7200RPM drives, they're the fastest.

10k RPM are hot and loud. Perpendicular drives are fast, but my friend has one and they're very, very hot. He's got a 12CM fan on them now to keep them cool

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude
View Post

hitachi

I disagree. remember the fiasco with the hitachi deskstars aka deathstars? The best in my opinion are Segate and Western Digital, as they seem to be the most reliable. Western Digital also makes the fastest drive at the moment.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedEarth
View Post

I thought it was WD raptors for best HDD? or the Seagate perpendicular thingymebob!! lol one min man, get you a linky

Yeah, I was going to get a Seagate just because most of the people who love computers I know have Seagate drives, and they seem the most reliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

I like Seagate, good quality and a 5 year warrenty..I also like the Hitachi, they are fast and have a great price...

Yeah, your backing up what I first thought.

·
Premium Member
9,786 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox
View Post

I disagree. remember the fiasco with the hitachi deskstars aka deathstars? The best in my opinion are Segate and Western Digital, as they seem to be the most reliable. Western Digital also makes the fastest drive at the moment.

Off topic, but WHERES MY COOKIE THEN!!!??!!??! Lol.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
I really like WD. My Raptor has been good to me. I also like Maxtor drives. People talk a lot of s*** about them, but I have never had one problem with them and I've had many of their drives.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp
View Post

I really like WD. My Raptor has been good to me. I also like Maxtor drives. People talk a lot of s*** about them, but I have never had one problem with them and I've had many of their drives.

Likewise, I have had 7 maxtors over the last 10 years and not one has died yet. Also, the current one I am using is one of the best in our HDD database in performance for a single drive.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So have I, but it's good for a change every now and then, and WD or Seagate seem the best choices.

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
I go for the one that give me the more storage for less money I pay and also the most cache and warranty.

I've had all brands, starting from Maxtor which I have one, WD, IBM which thank God is no longer manufactured but....Hitachi took over so I have two Hitachi now, Samsung and last but not least Seagate.

Currently I like my Seagates better because it's got perpendicular recording, 16mb cache, NCQ and the most important part? A 5 year warranty. So right now Seagate is a better choice IMO.

Fudget Raptors, overpriced for what they can do.

·
404 Title Not Found
2,326 Posts
Seagate!, I've had atleast 2 or 3 WD's fail on me. Never had a Seagate or Maxtor die.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
well...Maxtor has NEVER failed me. WD has blown about 12 random drives on me...lol AKA 100% failure rate...

But, I'd buy any brand again. I'd probably get Seagate perpendiculars if I was in the market for new drives.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts