Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am thinking of getting an i7 920 and plan to overclock it to some degree. Unfortunately there is too much choice between heatsinks and they seem to varie in performance between different models of CPU.

I have a budget of £40 (excluding P+P) and am seeking the best heatsink possible but with a relatively low noise PWM fan attached.

After looking around I've found the scythe mugen 2 has good reviews and comes with a low noise PWM fan already with it. On the downside I would have to mount it to suck air out the back instead of blow it out the top fan otherwise I would have no ram in my computer.

So I come here to ask your advice on alternatives worth considering.

cheers
stonefisher

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I would reconmend the Megahalems with a enermax magma fan on it but I think that is outta ur range price wise but the Mugen 2 is a great heatsink so it will do the job but if you want to get to 4.0+ get the megahelams

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralCuster44
View Post

I would reconmend the Megahalems with a enermax magma fan on it but I think that is outta ur range price wise but the Mugen 2 is a great heatsink so it will do the job but if you want to get to 4.0+ get the megahelams

I'm not that impress with that cooler i have it and i bumping to 87*c on 1.33vcore @4.2 thats with 2 Gt's p/p

For that price your talking a titan fenrir which custom pc love!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies,
The Megahalems is too expensive without a fan. ( what's the point of a limit if I ignore it?) otherwise I would have considered it,

The titan fenrir look interesting but can you fit tall memory modules beneath it? I'm planning to use Reaper memory heatsinks preinstalled to OCZ memory. also would the fan fit above them or would they have to be in a pull configuration? How does it compare with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and the thermalright ultra 120 extreme?

The coolermaster Hyper Z600 requires a adapter and fan to be bought seperately which prices it out unfortunately.

The OCZ Gladiator Max does in fact have an adapter for it that costs £13. I'll look into it thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts