Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions as to which motherboard is best for overclocking an i7. Keep in mind I am dual xfiring Radeon 5870's, with gpu and cpu watercooling. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Budget?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my current board supports xfire also, however, in doing so, it covers the slot that my networking card plugs into.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dranseth View Post
Yeah, my current board supports xfire also, however, in doing so, it covers the slot that my networking card plugs into.
What interface is it? PCI? PCI-e??

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not all X58 boards support both SLI and crossfire, all support crossfire, but not all SLI.
Dependent on budget but I mean I'd suggest an Asus P6T or any other version of it, can't remember but I think the SE doesn't support SLI or something, good price/performance and board layout.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Exceptional isn't a factor, cooling is.

Almost all of the $200+ X58 boards will do roughly the same BLCK (about 222 or so with tweaking) on air.

Anything above that needs better cooling.

There is no point in paying $400 for a motherboard that can only be pushed to match a $200 motherboard if cooling is insufficient.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Here are some boards that will allow 2 GPUs and a PCI slot open.

The DFI has the best layout because both x16 lanes are very far apart, giving the cards a lot of breathing room along with a PCI slot open (and PCI-e in the middle.) If you want to pay a premium, you can get the board in my sig rig for about $85 more and it has an 8 phase digital PWM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazzaq2004 View Post
Not all X58 boards support both SLI and crossfire, all support crossfire, but not all SLI.
Dependent on budget but I mean I'd suggest an Asus P6T or any other version of it, can't remember but I think the SE doesn't support SLI or something, good price/performance and board layout.
Yeah, I had done a google search and numerous versions of the Asus P6T motherboard were recommended for i7 overclocking. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
Here are some boards that will allow 2 GPUs and a PCI slot open.

The DFI has the best layout because both x16 lanes are very far apart, giving the cards a lot of breathing room along with a PCI slot open (and PCI-e in the middle.) If you want to pay a premium, you can get the board in my sig rig for about $85 more and it has an 8 phase digital PWM.
How is the board for overclocking? I haven't even seen this one suggested yet, but I like the layout.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
The P6T series in general are very solid.

The cheapest (the vanilla P6T which i also own) is stellar for overclocking and supports tri-sli.

It does not provide great spacing for dual cards though (which is why I am using the Deluxe V2 now).

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Quote:

How is the board for overclocking? I haven't even seen this one suggested yet, but I like the layout.
Amazing boards with a ton of tweaking options. DFI is synonymous with overclocking but their RMA service is supposedly horrible (never RMA'ed any of my 3 boards to them.)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar View Post
The P6T series in general are very solid.

The cheapest (the vanilla P6T which i also own) is stellar for overclocking and supports tri-sli.

It does not provide great spacing for dual cards though (which is why I am using the Deluxe V2 now).
Do you now get good airflow with the Delux V2? How is technical support with asus? I am reading that DFI does not have very good customer support..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Even though the Deluxe V2 offers better spacing, I think the 2nd PCI-E slot is too close to the 3rd slot which doesn't work well for those who want to run tri-sli or a dedicated physx card, if I can remember the board layout correctly. The new P6TD deluxe fixes this and offers same stuff from the Deluxe V2 IIRC. But all that extra money could be put elsewhere, like a better GPU

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
i can highly recommend the GigaByte GA EX58 UD5 so far ive got my i7 to 4.2ghz stable with very few adjustments, and have been playing around with it at 4.4 very nearly stable and 4.6 but needs more time to perfect or its a no no all together

but its a great mobo

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Quote:

Do you now get good airflow with the Delux V2? How is technical support with asus? I am reading that DFI does not have very good customer support..
With 2 GPU there will be a single PCI slot between them which I think really helps the top card.

Unless something has changed, Asus offers their Advanced RMA service on the P6T Deluxe which goes something like this:

1. You have a board issue. Call the Customer Support number and tell them what's going on. They will issue an RMA number and collect some credit card information.

2.You can choose to have a new board sent out to you immediately. You can expedite shipping at your cost. You are also responsible for the return shipment but you have 30-days (I believe) to do so.

3. You put the bad board in the their box and return to them. Your card will only be charged if you do not return it in the allowed time.

I've actually used this process once on another board and it was absolutely painless. I was back up and running after only a couple days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts