Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just what it says. except none of those ugly rediculous alienware laptops.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedspace View Post

just what it says. except none of those ugly rediculous alienware laptops.
May I know your country that you'll be buying?
Screen size of the laptop.
The tasks you'll be using the laptop for.
Will you take your laptop anywhere?
What games are you going to play on it?

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
$3K is a huge amount of money for a laptop. What do you intend on doing with it? You asked for the best, but best at doing what?

With that kind of budget, I'd start looking at a Lenovo W540 with all the bells and whistles if you're "working" with it. There are options like i7-4930MX or 4900MQ, 3K display panels (2880x1620), Quadro K2100M graphics, etc. Only problem with the Lenovo is that there's no GTX 780M choice like there would be in a gamer laptop.

If you're looking at gaming laptops, the least "gamer ugly" one I found was the ASUS G750 line. I have one of the first ones shipped with a GTX 770M, 24GB RAM, 4700MQ processor, and it's pretty nice - but very large (17.3" display) and very heavy (like 10 pounds). I'm not a mobile warrior, so the size/weight isn't a big deal for me.

Greg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryou-kun View Post

May I know your country that you'll be buying?
Screen size of the laptop.
The tasks you'll be using the laptop for.
Will you take your laptop anywhere?
What games are you going to play on it?
Yeah, this is kind of relevant... I mean sure, i'm a gamer, but an ultrabook was the right choice for me because I don't want to play games on my laptop. I want portability, build quality, and battery life.

Remember, buying a "gaming" laptop is kind of an oxymoron; it is going to be mediocre at best for gaming, and it's going to be big, heavy, and probably get abysmal battery life. If you have to only have one computer, I can see having to make the compromise, but if not...

Buy an awesome gaming PC for 2K, and spend the remaining 1K on a high quality ultrabook or Thinkpad.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGKS View Post

Yeah, this is kind of relevant... I mean sure, i'm a gamer, but an ultrabook was the right choice for me because I don't want to play games on my laptop. I want portability, build quality, and battery life.

Remember, buying a "gaming" laptop is kind of an oxymoron; it is going to be mediocre at best for gaming, and it's going to be big, heavy, and probably get abysmal battery life. If you have to only have one computer, I can see having to make the compromise, but if not...

Buy an awesome gaming PC for 2K, and spend the remaining 1K on a high quality ultrabook or Thinkpad.
He's asking for the best $3000 laptop, not desktop/laptop combo. You're right in that we do need to know his requirements and usage to really give him a solid answer. the rest of your response, however...

Buying a gaming laptop is not an oxymoron... The hardware that is out, in the last year or two has been awesome, and the 800 series stuff just got released this month. When the true maxwell stuff hits, were looking at a possible 50% performance increase. A laptop for $800 that just happens to have some low end GPU is not a gaming laptop, and I agree is mediocre. But with a $3000 budget he can get a serious laptop that will be built for gaming, and will do it well... You will pay for it, it will be heavy, and the batttery life will be pretty poor.... I have always assumed people buy gaming laptops for the mobile power, not the battery life or the ability to game on battery. Though nvidia has released some new tech with the 800m series that is supposed to control clock speeds while gaming to extend battery life.

Due to my situation, I've been gaming on laptops for the last 2 years as my primary machine, and all but 1 have been dual GPU M18x's that will handle anything I throw at them on high or close to the highest settings. Common sense in use and a notebook cooler has prevented over heating, and the unique mux switch in them allows me to completely disable the GPUs with a keystroke and reboot. I will then get 4+ hours of battery life. Pretty good for something I can play anything I want on. The heavy argument is valid, but still lighter than carrying a desktop, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor around.

I would also like to mention, that through buying used or through dells Refurbished outlet with coupons, I have never paid more than $1600 for one.

Twisted, If you're tossing out alienware because they're ugly, you're seriously limiting yourself from some awesome hardware, though this latest generation is sort of lackluster with overclocking features and what not. But if you're not interested in them, there are other options.

But to really make a good recommendation we need to know what you're going to do with it. What size you would prefer, and any specific requirements you will need hardware wise.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGKS View Post

We don't know his requirement, and there wasn't any info beside a "laptop" and "budget".
He might want to travel while playing games which I doubt you need to bring a gaming desktop.
There are ton of possibilities why he want to spend 3 grand on a laptop.

If you look at his signature, I believe he already have a gaming PC, so I doubt he need a second one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for use in college. computer science major.
for general use and gaming.
and just for the collection.

i would prefer a smaller size screen but high pixel density.
as thin and fast as possible.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:

Also what type of games?
Just curious.

Also are you in any rush to buy a laptop?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was looking at that too. thats qhat i might get. i only wish that they had the qhd screen on the 17 inch

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryou-kun View Post

Also what type of games?
Just curious.

Also are you in any rush to buy a laptop?
not really any specific type of game.
probably anything that isnt mmorpg or fps
its my birthday-graduation present. i have to wait to get the money but it will be 3000.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:

not really any specific type of game.
probably anything that isnt mmorpg or fps
its my birthday-graduation present. i have to wait to get the money but it will be 3000.
Hmm, how about Lenovo Y40 and Y50?
I think Y40 will have 2K res and Y50 has an optional of 2K or 4K res.
Now, it may not have Maxwell, but I think they use AMD R9 290 mobile GPU.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lets say i just want something that will outperform and am willing to pay 3000. i might use it to play minecraft or something when im bored but no serious gaming. im tired of just a full hd display and want a little more. love those high density displays. dont want any rediculous angles and colors.

this is kind of why i was looking at the new 14 inch razer blade.

i just read though that the new one does have a maxwell gpu. the 870m

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Quote:
those appear to be highly modified clevo barebones. He could get similar hardware without the flash for a lot less. I could be wrong though. That's just what it looks like to me.

If you want small, thin and light, there is the MSI GS60 Ghost, you could wait for the refresh if their is one with the new 860m in it. If you're going for thin and light but fast and powerful some new stuff with GTX 860m and GTX 870m are coming out, But I would wait until you're sure its a maxwell GPU. Its a 15.6" laptop with a 1080p screen. I know MSI has some QHD models that go above 1080p, but they definitely wouldn't fit into the thin requirement you have.

Dell has the Precision m3800, but it would have a quadro 1100 in it, I know it has a higher than 1080p display option, but it probably wouldn't be great for gaming.

Sager has a 13.3" with the new maxwell 860m in it, but it only has a 1080p screen and a 4700HQ CPU.

Right now the Only mobile maxwell out is the Soldered models of the GTX 860, GT850 and GT840m GPUs, as far as I have found anyways. Most of the ultra thin and light rigs will have the soldered card if they're out now, so you should be good with one of those. I believe another indication is that it has 2gb vram instead of 4 like on the MXM card version of the GPU.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Quote:

If you're not that much into gaming, then I'd say go for a Retina Macbook Pro 15. It's got a killer display and is great for college use. On the gaming front, it's powerful enough to drive SC2, WoW, and D3 on max within OSX. Only downside is you need bootcamp for windows for non OSX games. It's got a GT 750m so it's enough for most things. It's light and has a great 8 hour battery life, and yes you really do get 7 to 8 hours on halfbrightness wifi browsing (w/o flash)
wink.gif

@ 3099 you can get the top of the line version with 1TB of SSD.
thumb.gif

Macbook Pro's are pretty popular on college campuses. I remember back a couple years ago at Michigan, almost everyone picked up a macbook (70%+) when buying a new computer. The other 30% were machaters
rolleyes.gif

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Quote:

lets say i just want something that will outperform and am willing to pay 3000. i might use it to play minecraft or something when im bored but no serious gaming. im tired of just a full hd display and want a little more. love those high density displays. dont want any rediculous angles and colors.

this is kind of why i was looking at the new 14 inch razer blade.

i just read though that the new one does have a maxwell gpu. the 870m
Sorry, the New Razer is based of of kelper. Only the lower models are maxwell. But still a good gpu, just not as much power savings as I'd like.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post

3000$ laptop... laptops depreciate faster than boats. lol
It's not his money, somebody's buying it for him for graduation. He'll learn about having to make his own money and making smart choices later in life. LOL.

That being said, have you considered a MacBook Pro with retina display? You can run Windows 8 on it if you like with boot camp, or Parallels can run VMs of anything you like on it. They're not cheap, but the engineering in the hardware can hardly be beat at any price. (ducks, waits for arrows to start flying)

Greg

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post

3000$ laptop... laptops depreciate faster than boats. lol
Then it must really suck to be on a desktop then
rolleyes.gif

Bought my laptop at 1175, sells for 1400 on ebay.
headscratch.gif

depreciation for ya

m11x and G53's still hold around the 1,000 mark as well...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts