Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around and all the best heatsinks out there are HUGE. is there one that can keep a Xeon's temps down? I'm looking to push this CPU of mine to about 3.4-3.6GHz which is a good 1GHz overclock.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Thermalright Venomous X
Noctua NH-D14
Prolimatech Megahalems

or the Corsair H50 if you want it to take up less space.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
3.6GHz isn't going to be too difficult with a (not so big) HSF:

H50 would be good to save some space, but if you prefer a more a more traditional HSF a Hyper 212+ (when in stock
) would do the job fine.
If you don't want to wait for that a Xigmatek Balder or Thermaright MUX-120 are on the smaller side (compared to the big guys anyway) and would work quite nicely

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash The Beast
View Post

The Corsair H50 is your best choice if you want something small.

I second that. For the price(when it's on sale - $50 - $60), performance and size of this product, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yeah the H50 would do fine for the overclock you want.

other good heatsinks are the megahalems rev b.

For a really good Really cheap heatsink the arctic cooling freezer extreme is a great little cooler that kept my i5 at acceptable temps @ 4Ghz. My case had good airflow but still that cooler is great.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would water be the better option? This thing's temperature skyrockets during usage. It's performance is insane at stock speeds, makes me wonder how an i7 could be better
, so you can imagine why I would want to push it up a little further.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere
View Post

Would water be the better option? This thing's temperature skyrockets during usage. It's performance is insane at stock speeds, makes me wonder how an i7 could be better
, so you can imagine why I would want to push it up a little further.

Custom w/c would keep it much cooler, but costs a lot more too. Any of the suggestions in this thread would do the job pretty well I'd have thought.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richenbals
View Post

With the Micro ATX case you have, I'd go with H50. If you plan on getting a bit bigger box, jump on the Venomous-X with two high static pressure fans.

Oh, I moved out of that tiny thing.
It's an excellent design for LAN parties and such but it doesn't really deliver all that well when you have to constantly open it up and such. It's better suited for someone who isn't affected by the Enthusiast disease.

Would the H50 manage a 1.5Ghz OC on a quad core hyper-threaded Xeon? This thing gets stupid hot in a stupidly short time. I'm talking about the idle temps going from 45*C to 60*C in about two seconds.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
Would the H50 manage a 1.5Ghz OC on a quad core hyper-threaded Xeon? This thing gets stupid hot in a stupidly short time. I'm talking about the idle temps going from 45*C to 60*C in about two seconds.

I suggest you blame that on the stock cooler. i always make my friends get aftermarket coolers when they build computers, the stock coolers are fine for someone who doesnt want to overclock, since the 60C is still within normal range (right?) but i 100% garuntee that as soon as you put a decent aftermarket cooler on your xeon the idle temps will drop dramatically, and just the same with your load temps, so long as you do a proper job mounting the HSF and doing the TIM properly.

Even for me, going from a Tuniq tower( a decent aftermarket cooler) to a H50, with my OCd Ph 9850 @ 3.1GHz, my load temps dropped 8C.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooxz
View Post

I suggest you blame that on the stock cooler. i always make my friends get aftermarket coolers when they build computers, the stock coolers are fine for someone who doesnt want to overclock, since the 60C is still within normal range (right?) but i 100% garuntee that as soon as you put a decent aftermarket cooler on your xeon the idle temps will drop dramatically, and just the same with your load temps, so long as you do a proper job mounting the HSF and doing the TIM properly.

Even for me, going from a Tuniq tower( a decent aftermarket cooler) to a H50, with my OCd Ph 9850 @ 3.1GHz, my load temps dropped 8C.

The threshold for this Xeon is 99*C, the temps that the stock cooler keep it at are fine.

The reviews for the H50 are very nice but I think I'd need to get an actual water cooling setup if I wanted 4Ghz on this Xeon of mine. The i7-860 hit 75*C on full load at 4GHz with HT off. I'll probably keep it on if I push it to 3.4Ghz.

So I guess the real question is, should the H50 keep my temps down with HT on and a 1GHz OC?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts