Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Dual core = Biostar T-Power i45

Quad core = Gigabyte EP45-UD3R / UD3P

They're DDR2, but the best boards for OC on the 775 platform.

EVGA 790i has DDR3 (I think?)

DDR3 is a waste on 775, IMO, you don't get the boost from it the same way Tri-Channel gives the i7 the boost.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflux
View Post

Dual core = Biostart T-Power i45

Quad core = Gigabyte EP45-UD3R / UD3P

He wanted DDR3 motherboards

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade1000000
View Post

havent heard of that one before ill look it up now.

It may be an X38 chipset, but it's NIIIICE!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I went down this exact path - I went from a P5E3 to a Foxconn Blackops and honestly it was a waste of money, I didn't get any benefit really.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Pepsi
View Post

I went down this exact path - I went from a P5E3 to a Foxconn Blackops and honestly it was a waste of money, I didn't get any benefit really.

Maybe it's a Mid-Way Board, kind of like mine. I've already got everything ready to upgrade (DDR3, VIDEO, COOLING, ETC...), so the only thing left is to decide i5 or i7, and buy a new board and cpu!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by arbalest
View Post

Maybe it's a Mid-Way Board, kind of like mine. I've already got everything ready to upgrade (DDR3, VIDEO, COOLING, ETC...), so the only thing left is to decide i5 or i7, and buy a new board and cpu!

i was going to get a P5E3 but the guy who i was buying it off screwed me.. thats the second time i have been screwed while buying a mobo for this build.

i am at half way point..

at the moment i have a gigabyte G31M-ES2L installed with 2GB DDR2 as i sold My XMS2.. i have XMS3 her waiting.. first i was gonna get a 790i.. then the guy screwed me.... got my money back... my 9600gt died.. so i spent it on a ultra. found a P5E3 (want DDR3 ram) bid and got screwed..

found an ASUS Rampage Extreme Today on Ebay and was tempted but he wanted $320 BIN (buy it now).. so i was like not happening.

i see another 790i on ebay $129.99 BIN and am tempted to buy it BUT im wondering before i do if theres any other better boards.

i am really at half built... my PSU is sitting on the shelf in my raven.. (4 pin power wont reach from where it screws in).. cable management is non existent. fan controller is in a hdd bay as there are no floppy size bays in the front. got a crappy mobo i bought so i could run the pc. and i need a new psu to run even a gtx260... i will get a 1500W silverstone as i was offered 3x GTX280 for $1000 shipped (one being a engineering sample so its a collectable... the other 2 are evga models)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Totally go with the 790i! Those boards are AWESOME OC'ers. Plus with the cash you'd save, you could pick up another 8800 and SLI, or even go another route!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'll throw the asus rampage extreme in here. It is a lil fussy about ram but you'll be hard pressed to find a better board. The stock HSA is crap and needs to be re timmed and some washers added to the north bridge area but after that it's a sick board. Here's some results I have for my 24/7 overclock.

My Results:

Core 2 Duo E8600 Q820A7xx
Asus Rampage Extreme X48
2 x 1 GB Cellshock "Blue's" 1866 DDR3
XFX 4890
2 x PQI Intel MLC 64GB SSD
Thermalright Venomous X (Not the best sink for socket 775)

Still Tweaking...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
^^ Yeah, thats the ONLY complaint I've had with any EXTREME ASUS boards.. Memory tweaking. You have to get it just right.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i wanted that rampage extreme as i know for a fact they oc rediculusly higher than any other board. but it was out of my current price range.

but theres alot i still need to do to my system.

replace the ultra with 2-3 GTX280s

NEW PSU (silverstone 1500W srtider modular)

upgrade from Q6600 to Q9550

More HDDS

Swiftech Water Cooling Loop.

·
335is
10,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade1000000
View Post

i wanted that rampage extreme as i know for a fact they oc rediculusly higher than any other board. but it was out of my current price range.

but theres alot i still need to do to my system.

replace the ultra with 2-3 GTX280s

NEW PSU (silverstone 1500W srtider modular)

upgrade from Q6600 to Q9550

More HDDS

Swiftech Water Cooling Loop.

If this is for your sig rig, go with the Gigabyte. For $140 you can't beat the price to performance. I bet, chip willing you can get 3.8 to 4.1 out of the Q6600.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGuru
View Post

If this is for your sig rig, go with the Gigabyte. For $140 you can't beat the price to performance. I bet, chip willing you can get 3.8 to 4.1 out of the Q6600.

He'd NEED that Watercooling loop for that kind of OC! lol

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i would need wc for it... but i want something i can tri-sli with natively and something that will look awesome in my raven

·
335is
10,924 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arbalest
View Post

He'd NEED that Watercooling loop for that kind of OC! lol

Not necessarily. I have seen a lot of people get to 3.8, 3.9 on the Giga's.
They have very good stock cooling. Just look in my Sig, all on air. Working on a Q9550 now and it's at 4.2 on air and full load temps are in the high 50'sC.
Ambient is 75F or 22C.

Edit:Tri SLI, never mind then.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoGuru
View Post

Not necessarily. I have seen a lot of people get to 3.8, 3.9 on the Giga's.
They have very good stock cooling. Just look in my Sig, all on air. Working on a Q9550 now and it's at 4.2 on air and full load temps are in the high 50'sC.
Ambient is 75F or 22C.

Edit:Tri SLI, never mind then.

He has a Q6600... they run HOT at those kinds of speeds!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts