Overclock.net banner

Best liquid metal and thermal paste

23548 Views 73 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  KENJI512
Hi folks.
Few days i looking on various review`s and testes.
Dozens.
LM and pastes for delid.
I`m stoped on next variants:

Pastes -
Cooler Master MasterGel Maker Nano
Kryonaut
Thermalright Chill Factor III
Phobya HeGrease Extreme
Coolaboratory Liquid Copper

LM -
Conductonaut
Coolaboratory Liquid Pro
Phobya LM
EK-TIM Indigo Xtreme

What is best?
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

· Registered
851 Posts
I always end up returning to MX4 (for non LM), though Gelid Extreme would also be on top of my list if it was available locally
I've used Gelid GC extreme for a while but when I used it with a bare die i7-4980HQ and Raystorm WB it would quickly degrade if hitting temperatures of 80C and more, probably bleeding out, so looked for some other grease. Someone recommended GD900 which is cheap and I got some ZF-12 which claims to have a rating of 12W/(m-K) and was cheap but turned out some old Prolimatech PK-1 that I've had for many years worked best.

Testing was done by running constant load which produces core temperatures nearly 20% higher than Linpack stress peak temperatures and run with duty cycles of 5% over 2 seconds which should test the interface and not so much the WB. Just in case anyone is interested.

GD900

ZF-12

PK-1

· Registered
46 Posts
Using Conductonaut on everything.

Biggest gain was on my 1080TI, which dropped the full load temps with 8*C
Secondly on a Threadripper, dropped the load by 6*C
For ****s and giggles, applied it to an old 750TI, there it only helped 3*C

I suspect the higher the output the more the improved paste will help?

· Vandelay Industries
2,843 Posts

· Facepalm
11,683 Posts
https://aliexpress.com/item/33056663302.html
Anybody hear about his LM?
128 conductivity.
At 5-7 bucks try it. I stopped buying expensive pastes as 2 dollar paste from China was within margin of error of Artic MX4, Noctua whatever that comes with nh d15, and Mx-2.

I'd wager it's close enough that you'd never think of paying $25 again.
That w/mk is total utter BS.
You can't have an alloy that has a greater w/mk than its components.
Galinstan is Gallium, Indium and Tin, sometimes with some trace metals added to improve wetting and ****** oxidation (<3%).

And the alloy MUST have a w/mk LOWER than the component with the lowest w/mk.
And Gallium is 40 w/mk. So *NO* LM on the market can be higher than 40/mk--ever.

This is basic science.

· New to OCN?
26,621 Posts
That w/mk is total utter BS.
You can't have an alloy that has a greater w/mk than its components.
Galinstan is Gallium, Indium and Tin, sometimes with some trace metals added to improve wetting and ****** oxidation (<3%).

And the alloy MUST have a w/mk LOWER than the component with the lowest w/mk.
And Gallium is 40 w/mk. So *NO* LM on the market can be higher than 40/mk--ever.

This is basic science.
not sure why people dont buy gallistan instead

· Facepalm
11,683 Posts
not sure why people dont buy gallistan instead
Better just to make it yourself.
Cost me only $80 for 150 grams worth of raw materials to make Galinstan (=150 grams worth, minus what gets stuck on the crucible). Only performs 2C worse than conductonaut.

150 grams of Conductonaut is over $600.

· Registered
278 Posts
Better just to make it yourself.

Cost me only $80 for 150 grams worth of raw materials to make Galinstan (=150 grams worth, minus what gets stuck on the crucible). Only performs 2C worse than conductonaut.

150 grams of Conductonaut is over $600.
Could you please elaborate this more, for noobs? Is it possible to have a DIY thermal paste buying this material alone? What's the procedure? Thank you!

· Registered
5,462 Posts
I prefer Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra as a LM TIM honestly compared to Conductonaut. Not because it performs better, they are about the same, but because it lasts longer before drying out and applies / cleans easier.

As a regular TIM I prefer Prolimatech PK-3 for the simple reasons if having a large 30 gram syringe and it is a top 5 paste right up there with Kryonaut, MX-4 and NT-H1.

That being said, all of them are a good choice and I do actually run Conductonaut on my 9900K (not delidded, just lapped really far) and it's holding up very well. Only 1-3c delta between the cores and 4-5c lower then a regular paste (tested both PK-3 and NT-H1 which had the exact same load temps).

· Registered
395 Posts
Kryonaut + Conductonaut. Indigo price is mad and it's not even correlated to its performance. Unless you go for LN2 or dry ice overclocking, do not consider regular paste under IHS.
Kryo/Conductonaut are my 2 favorite..

anyone remember when people used to make a thread just about every week asking if they could OC their PC higher if they stuck it in a mini fridge?

I think thermal paste threads are the modern 2019 reincarnation.
Amazing how times change..

OK, thank you.
I finding CL Liquid Pro have got thermo 82.1 W, even better then Conductonaut - 73 W.
And review.
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/x55gSEMYGi2YaPGFWHKGs6.png
Now I could try and sell my 9900k saying it does 6ghz @ 1.1v on air
Doesnt make it true...

I have never seen anyone say "OMG CL LIQUID PRO IS DAH BOMB"
but if you can afford it and have the time and want to test it compaired to some other liquid metals, I know alot of people would love that.

· Registered
5,462 Posts
Liquid Ultra is better then Pro anyway. Why even consider Pro.

· Registered
64 Posts
My Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano thermal paste is depleted and now I am asking myself, if I should buy it again or if there is something even better than that?

The candidates for my decision are:

1.) Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano
2.) Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
3.) Phoby NanoGrease Extreme
4.) Noctua NT-H2

I've read multiple times, that Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano is even better than TG Kryonaut despite having a lower thermal conductivity (by the numbers) than the Kryonaut (MGM N: 11W/mk, Kryo: 12.5W/mk). And the Phobya Nanogrease Extreme has an apparent thermal conductivity of a whopping 16W/mk - despite this, reviews and user reports are contradictory: while most reviews say, the Phobya is disappointingly performing worse than CM MGM N or TG Kryo, some users/user reviews on the other hand say, that Phobya NG E is even better than either CM MGM N or TG Kryo if it is applied "correctly" - whatever that means...

And what about Noctua's new thermal paste "NT-H2" ?

Another important question: are some TPs better suited for water cooling than air cooling and vice versa? I have an air cooler, but I intend to enter the world of water cooling sometime in the future?

T.S.O.M.

· Mr.4way SLI
5,477 Posts

· Xeon Overclocker
296 Posts
I haven't done too much testing with many greases, but from my experiences:

1.) Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano - Not used
2.) Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - Just started using this grease. I prefer it over Prolimatech PK-3 as it was easier to apply.
3.) Phoby NanoGrease Extreme - Not used
4.) Noctua NT-H2 - Seems to work ok, no complaints. Again easier to apply than the PK-3.

I'd place the viscosity of the Kryonaut and NH-H2 between PK-3 (on the high end) and Gelid GC. Thermal performance between all 4 of these all seemed fine (no direct comparison) however I personally find that ease of application makes for a successful mount. Once in while I had to redo the PK-3 as it seemed to either not spread out well, or the application was thicker than others.

As for paste longevity: I've never been too concerned for water cooled parts. Either during coolant replacement or upgrade I tend to do a re-paste. For air cooling the need to unmount the CPU could make how long the paste last more of a concern.

For "average" watercooled or aircooled systems, I don't think the paste will perform differently enough to be significant.

I'd recommend Kryonaut or NT-H2 based on my experience. If I had the option between the two, I'd go for the cheaper option. I can't recommend the other two as I haven't used them personally.

· Not a linux lobbyist
2,938 Posts
I prefer Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra as a LM TIM honestly compared to Conductonaut. Not because it performs better, they are about the same, but because it lasts longer before drying out and applies / cleans easier.

As a regular TIM I prefer Prolimatech PK-3 for the simple reasons if having a large 30 gram syringe and it is a top 5 paste right up there with Kryonaut, MX-4 and NT-H1.

That being said, all of them are a good choice and I do actually run Conductonaut on my 9900K (not delidded, just lapped really far) and it's holding up very well. Only 1-3c delta between the cores and 4-5c lower then a regular paste (tested both PK-3 and NT-H1 which had the exact same load temps).
Liquid Ultra is better then Pro anyway. Why even consider Pro.
I keep hearing that Liquid Ultra lasts longer than Pro, and yet still have a bunch of Pro in a syringe that dries out on the cpu about once a year, or after a bunch of 1.4+v overclocking.

Why did I buy it? Guess I didn't do enough research. I would definitely go with Liquid Ultra next.

I do have some gallium and indium in my rock collection, so the daughter and I mixed up a eutectic to try to cure boredom. I even had her apply it to the cpu she was using to do her safer at home schoolwork. That pc got a lot quieter afterwards. I should really order some tin for the mix. And reduce the gallium to a minimal level. I bet that gallium is the source of most of the problems since indium and tin are so benign and a minimum amount needed to liquify would minimize the reactivity.

· Registered
64 Posts
Kryo and KPx seem to be the top 2 pastes.

Numerous former users of Kryonaut reported, that the CM Mastergel Nano was actually performing even better than Kryonaut. Then again, the Kingpin KPX (your suggestion) seems slightly better than CM Mastergel Nano, but on the other hand it is also thickest paste of all three - according to an article by Igor's Lab. Users of Phobya NG Extreme reported, that it is the best of all, if applied correctly - since you haven't tried it, what can other members here say about it? (their experiences)

As for LM i'm using the Phobya from PPCS that is super cheap and have amazing results over KPX and Kryo. Might not be the best but on a budget I can't complain. https://www.performance-pcs.com/tim...etal-thermal-compound-lm-0-5g-ph-31001-d.html

I didn't mean the liquid metal Phobya, but the conventional non-conductive Phobya Nanogrease Extreme - by numbers, with a thermal conductivity of 16mW/K it should by far be the best performing thermal paste. However, the interresting thing about Phobya NG Extreme is, that site reviews and user reviews contradict each other - while reviews/articles of renowned hardware sites show a disappointing picture, private user reviews say, it's the best they had when applied correctly; even better than Kryonaut and/or CM MG Nano or a paste of any other brand they had so far...

1.) Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano - Not used

According to a review by Guru3D, CM MG Maker Nano performs slightly better on air-cooled systems than Kryonaut, suggesting it to be more suitable for air cooling. On the other hand, for water cooling the Kryonaut performed slightly better than CM MGM Nano, suggesting it to be better tailored for water-cooled setups.

I'd place the viscosity of the Kryonaut and NH-H2 between PK-3 (on the high end) and Gelid GC. Thermal performance between all 4 of these all seemed fine (no direct comparison) however I personally find that ease of application make

In terms of viscosity, the thickest of all thermal pastes is the Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut - according to an article from TechPowerUp. Apparently, the Kingpin KPX comes next. Then CM MGM Nano and finally TG Kryonaut.

Just my 2 cents...

T.S.O.M.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.