Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm throwing together bits and pieces over time to try and build my "Dream Machine", and i recently found liquid cooling to be a bit cheaper than i originally thought. So now i'm t rying to get all my facts straight.

Is there a better liquid to use than water?

I know that like, liquid helium isn't an option, but some other really friggin cold liquid?

Any answers o_O?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,787 Posts
Water is the best liquid by far in terms of specific heat capacity (well, mercury is better, but GL pumping that around your loop with its toxicity and various other problems
biggrin.gif
).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
432 Posts
distilled water the end
Water is one of the best choices for liquid cooling applications due to its high heat capacity and thermal conductivity. It is also compatible with copper, which is one of the best heat transfer materials to use for your fluid path. Water used for cooling comes from different sources. Tap water, for example, comes from a publicly owned water treatment facility or a well. The benefit to using facility or tap water is that it is readily available and inexpensive. However, what is important to note about facility water or tap water is that it is likely untreated and is therefore likely to contain impurities. These impurities could cause corrosion in the liquid cooling loop and/or clog fluid channels. Therefore, using good quality water is recommended in order to minimize corrosion and optimize thermal performance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,559 Posts
distilled water, killcoil in your res. Stay away from the other options.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,254 Posts

·
Nerd / Geek
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
Distilled + Kill Coil will be the optimal solution. Also inexpensive (kill coil is $5ish, or you could goto a local jeweler and try to get some silver from them).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microfister;15278185
as i stated before, ekoolant. already has the biocide additives in it, so there is no need for a kill coil, and also has the anti corrosion additives so theres no worries of mixing alloys.
Like everyone else said, Distilled water and Kill Coil. 5 dollars for a kill coil that last forever and distilled water is super cheap and easily attainable at like every grocery store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by microfister
View Post

as i stated before, ekoolant. already has the biocide additives in it, so there is no need for a kill coil, and also has the anti corrosion additives so theres no worries of mixing alloys.

Do you add destilled water in addtition to this Ekoolant?
Or use ONLY Ekoolant?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
432 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by zoazim
View Post

Do you add destilled water in addtition to this Ekoolant?
Or use ONLY Ekoolant?

If you go with this only use the EKoolant DONT add anything
 

·
Daydreamer Builder
Joined
·
632 Posts
I'm actually gonna be switching over to the Feser One clear coolant specifically for it's non conductive properties. Read a review on it and it was found to be right under water in terms of heat dissipation and better than water in a few other categories.

my 2c.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,227 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Worple
View Post

distilled water the end
Water is one of the best choices for liquid cooling applications due to its high heat capacity and thermal conductivity. It is also compatible with copper, which is one of the best heat transfer materials to use for your fluid path. Water used for cooling comes from different sources. Tap water, for example, comes from a publicly owned water treatment facility or a well. The benefit to using facility or tap water is that it is readily available and inexpensive. However, what is important to note about facility water or tap water is that it is likely untreated and is therefore likely to contain impurities. These impurities could cause corrosion in the liquid cooling loop and/or clog fluid channels. Therefore, using good quality water is recommended in order to minimize corrosion and optimize thermal performance.

Only the best:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Grab yourself a couple gallons of distilled water, a kill coil or two (I use two because I just feel safer haha).

That's all you need man, liquid cooling alone is stressful maintenance given the risk, you don't want to complicate it with needless dyes and other additives.

Keep it clean and simple, best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by stilllogicz
View Post

I'm actually gonna be switching over to the Feser One clear coolant specifically for it's non conductive properties. Read a review on it and it was found to be right under water in terms of heat dissipation and better than water in a few other categories.

my 2c.

the moment you start running coolant around your loop it picks up ions and particles that will make it conductive over time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Greenback
View Post

the moment you start running coolant around your loop it picks up ions and particles that will make it conductive over time

+1

Just use distilled and PT Nuke or a kill coil like everyone else has said. I have used feser and fluid xp in the past and the dyes stain everything and gunk up your blocks.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top