Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been using my desktop much lately these past couple months so I figured I'd put it to use. I downloaded NiceHash and am averaging $4.50/day between my two cards. I feel like I'm missing out, but I'm completely new to mining. Both cards are overclocked to 1500MHz core.

If anyone could write me a complete guide on everything I need to do, I'd be willing to send a care package for their time. :)

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
I use nicehash v2, probably the same as you.

Go into the benchmarks, and do precise benchmark of all. These are not always right on the money, but what it does is lets you know in comparison which miners/config works best for profitability.

On my single 1070, I average between 2.16 and 2.85 per day with 11.36 cent per kW energy cost.

The idea with the benchmarks, even when they are not spot on to REALTIME performance, is they show you expected BTC per day. With my 1070, i simply enable ONLY ones that give me 20mBTC per day or more. This ends up me enabling only 6 or 7 out of the 15 available to me. This resulted in better profitability, as the miner is not switching out all the time.

Remember, you do have a minimum profitability setting in the configurations. If you are averaging 4.50 per day, set it to something like 3.00, that wya the miner will actually shut down and find a fdifferent algo to use until the profitability again changes in your favor.

This also means it will shut teh miner down if profit margins go to crap, that way you are not wasting a ton of energy.

The nicehash FAQ and reddit-related posts are quite helpful

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use nicehash v2, probably the same as you.

Go into the benchmarks, and do precise benchmark of all. These are not always right on the money, but what it does is lets you know in comparison which miners/config works best for profitability.

On my single 1070, I average between 2.16 and 2.85 per day with 11.36 cent per kW energy cost.

The idea with the benchmarks, even when they are not spot on to REALTIME performance, is they show you expected BTC per day. With my 1070, i simply enable ONLY ones that give me 20mBTC per day or more. This ends up me enabling only 6 or 7 out of the 15 available to me. This resulted in better profitability, as the miner is not switching out all the time.

Remember, you do have a minimum profitability setting in the configurations. If you are averaging 4.50 per day, set it to something like 3.00, that wya the miner will actually shut down and find a fdifferent algo to use until the profitability again changes in your favor.

This also means it will shut teh miner down if profit margins go to crap, that way you are not wasting a ton of energy.

The nicehash FAQ and reddit-related posts are quite helpful
Only took me half an hour to figure out how to use the new OCN on mobile....but that's a rant for another time.

I did do a precise benchmark for both. I looked into using my 4960x too, but that wasn't worthwhile from what I saw. So $4.50/day is actually in line with two cards? I'll definitely have to look into changing the settings for minimum profits.

Is there anything else I can do to maximize efficiency?

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
Most miners seem to lower the power limit to around 65-85% and fiddle with the core clocks and memory clocks until it is stable.

Me, since both my computers are on 24/7 nearly anyways, I maxxed out the power limit, and I get around 485 MH equihash? versus when it was fully stock default at 100% power limit and only managed to hit around 1898mhz, constantly bounced around, and gave only a little above 425 or so MH.

With curve clocking, I mine around 2012 or 2037MHz core, a 500+ memory offset, and power limit is maxxed to 112%, but GPU-Z only ever shows a max of 106^, but usually hovers around 102%

Difference is you either get more out of the power you currently use like me, or you underclock and save a higher percentage of power than the performance you loose.

That said, you have 980 TI's. gamewise, your cards beat 1070s. Perhaps mining is a different story.

Try a search on google for 980 ti hashrate, and see how they compare to you. Keep in mind, your findings should be relavant for at least the current and last few months. too far back, and you get skewed results due to mining difficulty changing all the time.

I personally am not a great source of information, as Im as green thumbed as they come.

Try this thread for responses

http://www.overclock.net/forum/1804...rrencies-club-general-information-thread.html

Some of the guys in there run large rigs, and would know better about getting good efficiency

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If they are reference PCB 980tis, DO NOT overclock them for mining. There are 2 undersized inductors that will fail on them eventually. I've killed 2 980tis and bought a few dead ones from fleebay with the same issue.

The 980tis are pretty much limited to equihash and lyra2rev2, they're really slow on most of the other algos.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they are reference PCB 980tis, DO NOT overclock them for mining. There are 2 undersized inductors that will fail on them eventually. I've killed 2 980tis and bought a few dead ones from fleebay with the same issue.

The 980tis are pretty much limited to equihash and lyra2rev2, they're really slow on most of the other algos.
Ah damn! Is there documentation on that for hope those were just freak accidents?

EDIT: @mattliston I'll reply back to you today. I'm not near my computer yet so I can't do much.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've made a few posts about it and posted pictures of the nuked inductor.
Was this an excessive heat issue or from excessive load? I've had these cards blocked since I got them. I'd really like to keep these cards doing something and mining seemed to be perfect.

On a side note, I'm up to $115/mo estimated by disabling all of the less profitable ones.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Load causes heat....

Non of the waterblocks cool the undersized inductors as far as I can tell. Its the 2 labeled r33
Excessive heat can be solved though. Is it as simple as replacing those two? I'm not going to purposely make my cards fail, but it's always better to have more knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts