Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought an I7 6700K to replace my 4690k. I'm set on the mini itx form factor. This PC is manily a gaming rig, Other than that I'm basically open for suggestion. Most of the reviews I'm reading are all over the place. I was leaning towards the Asus z170i pro gaming, but I have read some mixed reviews. The Impact VIII will go to waste since i will not be pushing overclocks. I could really use some advice from some guys around here. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Just go for the one that has the features you want in the price range you can afford. things like on-board wifi, usb 3.1 connections, and m.2 slot are important on a limited form factor. I would probably go for the ASUS you suggested, the MSI Gaming Pro, or the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 5.

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

Just go for the one that has the features you want in the price range you can afford. things like on-board wifi, usb 3.1 connections, and m.2 slot are important on a limited form factor. I would probably go for the ASUS you suggested, the MSI Gaming Pro, or the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 5.
I would probably have gone with the Gigabyte G1 but the location of the onboard usb 3.0 header is so stupid, but the reviews of the board are fantastic.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I ended up with 2 Z170 ITX builds. I went with the ASRock Gaming and Asus Pro Gaming boards. Both are similar but small differences in features.

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post

I ended up with 2 Z170 ITX builds. I went with the ASRock Gaming and Asus Pro Gaming boards. Both are similar but small differences in features.
were you happy with the Asus Pro Gaming board?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

I have the Asus Pro Gaming. Yet to finish the custom loop so I can't comment on OC but overall I am very satisfied with the board. Was looking at few different ones but Asus seemed to have most logical board layout.

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trito View Post

I have the Asus Pro Gaming. Yet to finish the custom loop so I can't comment on OC but overall I am very satisfied with the board. Was looking at few different ones but Asus seemed to have most logical board layout.
great looking build. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to ignore the bad reviews and go with the Pro Gaming, I've have nothing but good luck with Asus, so why change now?
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Quote:

great looking build. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to ignore the bad reviews and go with the Pro Gaming, I've have nothing but good luck with Asus, so why change now?
thumb.gif
What bad reviews?
biggrin.gif

Only one I looked at was bit-tech and they liked it.

Btw forgot to mention in the last post. One thing that shifted me over from MSI offering was lack of longer M.2 drive support. (e.g 950 pro) so keep that in mind if you plan to invest in M.2

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trito View Post

What bad reviews?
biggrin.gif

Only one I looked at was bit-tech and they liked it.

Btw forgot to mention in the last post. One thing that shifted me over from MSI offering was lack of longer M.2 drive support. (e.g 950 pro) so keep that in mind if you plan to invest in M.2
I tend to stay away from review sites and read individual reviews. I take most with a grain of salt, but there were still a good amount of bad ones.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Quote:

Yes, my only complaint is no clear CMOS button. Some people do not like the USB 3.1 not being Intel, but I have no need for USB 3.1 and I disabled it in BIOS. It also does not have bifurcation, the ASRock supposedly does

Some of the early reviewers had the info wrong regarding M.2 and PCIe lanes. Using a M.2 SSD does not drop your GPU to x8. I myself have tested this since I use a M.2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts