Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lookin for a motherboard(hopefully cheap) that supports ddr3 1333-1600 ram and can overclock a e5450 well. i have a g31m-s r2.0 and although the motherboard works with the xeon adapted, i cant overclock for poop. the most i can stable is 3096ghz on a 3ghz chip. if i raise the pcie frequency the most i can get stable is 3.28 with pcie at 110. i seen many of you bros out there get 4-4.2 ghz. what boards are you using?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
You would need a good P45 board. It's no wonder that you can't overclock because you have a G31M board. If you can find a board from the Gigabyte EP45-UD3 series, then you would do well.

However, there's another concern for consideration: your power supply. What is the make and model of yours?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface420 View Post

thanks for responding ! my power supply is a 620w neo eco
Oh good.

What do you have for CPU cooling?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface420 View Post

im using a artic 7 freezer pro

but i only have 2gb ddr2 ram 800
and gpu is hd7790
What's the make and model of your memory?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,992 Posts
Well, I don't know how good or bad that memory is for overclocking, but it does have heatspreaders on it. So, I guess all that's left now is to find a good P45 board. However, don't expect 4-4.2 GHz with the Arctic 7 Freezer Pro. You might get 4.0 GHz, but it could be a challenge in terms of temps. Of course, I do recommend trying - once you get a good motherboard.

Or, just scrap these plans altogether and replace the motherboard, CPU, memory and CPU cooling with something better and newer.

• Rep+
Reactions: buttface420

·
Registered
963 Posts
Buy an ASUS P5Q Deluxe. One of the best P45 motherboards ever made, if not the best, it can do 500 MHz FSB AND it has got a 16-phase Power Design which is meant for extreme overclocking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-P5Q-DELUXE-SOCKET-775-HIGH-END-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-MOTHERBOARD-/151248897168?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item2337230490

With the above motherboard you can use your existing RAM. The difference in performance between DDR2 and DDR3 on S775 systems is negligible. (I can prove that).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts