Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I was wondering what I could use as a motherbridge for the northwood core. It's a computer from Dell and I read the previous forum thread and I'm not looking for low priced. Just wondering what the best motherboard is. I plan to buy some PC3200, such as OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 (2-2-2-5 ::drools:

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. It's a P4 2.4ghz

·
Registered
840 Posts
Abit IC7-Max3 if you can find it, if not, go for the Asus P4C800-E Dlx. They both rock with their 875P canterwood chipset and are the best around.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Asus P4P800 or P4C800 (or any varietals thereof)

Abit IC7 (or any varietals thereof)

DFI Lanparty 875ProB Rev. B

You might want to ensure that the power supply is a standard 20-pin ATX, as well, as I believe Dell's use proprietary connectors that will fit on other boards, but are wired differently, so it will certainly destroy any non-Dell board (or at least fail to power it).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Asus P4P800 or P4C800 (or any varietals thereof)

Abit IC7 (or any varietals thereof)

DFI Lanparty 875ProB Rev. B

You might want to ensure that the power supply is a standard 20-pin ATX, as well, as I believe Dell's use proprietary connectors that will fit on other boards, but are wired differently, so it will certainly destroy any non-Dell board (or at least fail to power it).

haha, that's funny. I had to change the dell power supply because it **** the bed. Also had to replace the RAM and HD of it. I was like, "why not just replace the mobo?" I already bought watercooling for it LOL. Wait, I just realized that it's a regular 20-pin ATX since I replaced it with a non-dell psu. I'm a fan of Abit, that's what I've used in my past motherboards, unless you guys can show me something else that's better.

Edit: Why is the IC7-Max3 so hard to find? Is it discontinued?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
go for the abit AI7. im in the process of ordering one, and i'm really excited about it. it's got the new uGuru technology in it, which means that you can overclcok from windows, which is cool. take a look at the uguru tech. here: http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/uguru.php

The board i'm talking about is here: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=147

hope this sways your opinion. i'm excited about getting one, they look excellllent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LkBurn

haha, that's funny. I had to change the dell power supply because it **** the bed. Also had to replace the RAM and HD of it. I was like, "why not just replace the mobo?" I already bought watercooling for it LOL. Wait, I just realized that it's a regular 20-pin ATX since I replaced it with a non-dell psu. I'm a fan of Abit, that's what I've used in my past motherboards, unless you guys can show me something else that's better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

go for the abit AI7. im in the process of ordering one, and i'm really excited about it. it's got the new uGuru technology in it, which means that you can overclcok from windows, which is cool. take a look at the uguru tech. here: http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/uguru.php

The board i'm talking about is here: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=147

hope this sways your opinion. i'm excited about getting one, they look excellllent.

uGuru doesn't impress me much. I've read reviews about it for the AMD boards and it doesn't seem to work too well.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
lol i'm an intel man. maybe i'l get more use out of it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LkBurn

uGuru doesn't impress me much. I've read reviews about it for the AMD boards and it doesn't seem to work too well.

·
Registered
840 Posts
LKBurn, I'd consider Yiffy's offer, it's one of the best mobos around

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Max3's have not officially discontinued...althought they were officially discontinued at one point in time, but now Abit is saying they're not...but they are exceptionally limited in availability. Any of the boards mentioned thus far are pretty much comparable, in terms of performance and overclockability.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Max3's have not officially discontinued...althought they were officially discontinued at one point in time, but now Abit is saying they're not...but they are exceptionally limited in availability. Any of the boards mentioned thus far are pretty much comparable, in terms of performance and overclockability.

I'm confused, but MaxII's aren't?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE

Wotever you do dont get an abit,because there the worst boards i have ever had

i dunno, but maybe the boards u got had problems or were defective....ive had 2 abits, and both are awsum in just about every way. Abit and asus are best best IMO, but i like gigabyte too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Abit Max 3 is designed around OCing. It is by far the nicest board I seen in the 875 family.

The ASUS P4C800 Deluxe is a good board but unless you get the -E version it does not have CSA(gig-e through northbridge) and only uses the ICH5 chip not ICH5R which has SATA RAID built in, it does have SATA RAID but uses a Promise chip and a 3COM chip for gig-e which both go on the southbridge chip. This is a big problem because the southbridge has only 133mb/s bus that is shared by all devices.

The MAX 3 on the other hand has CSA and ICH5R southbridge, plus a second Silcon Image SATA RAID chip which sopports RAID 0,1, & 0+1. And Abit's special cooler over the capacitors and power regulators to allow for more OCing.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother

Abit Max 3 is designed around OCing. It is by far the nicest board I seen in the 875 family.

The ASUS P4C800 Deluxe is a good board but unless you get the -E version it does not have CSA(gig-e through northbridge) and only uses the ICH5 chip not ICH5R which has SATA RAID built in, it does have SATA RAID but uses a Promise chip and a 3COM chip for gig-e which both go on the southbridge chip. This is a big problem because the southbridge has only 133mb/s bus that is shared by all devices.

The MAX 3 on the other hand has CSA and ICH5R southbridge, plus a second Silcon Image SATA RAID chip which sopports RAID 0,1, & 0+1. And Abit's special cooler over the capacitors and power regulators to allow for more OCing.

Yep, OTES rocks...
OMG, adas123 has the fatal1ty mobo... *drools*

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
holy crap! how much was it adas?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

Yep, OTES rocks...
OMG, adas123 has the fatal1ty mobo... *drools*

·
Registered