Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since US retailers are finally picking this up I will be grabbing the spawn soon.

Is there a clear favorite as far as pads go for this mouse?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here we go again. Since it's optical, it will work on any mouse pad (hard or soft).

Do you prefer a cloth surface or a hard surface?

·
Registered
787 Posts
To find a good mousepad I believe it's up to the individual to find one which works good for you. But what I could recommend is the Razer Goliathus, or Roccat Tatio or Sense. Thouse have been the last three I've tested out, lover them all - at the moment I'm using the Razer Goliathus. But thinking of going back to the Tatio. But again, also believe that a good mousepad is also very much up to the person using it, how you feel about it. And yeah, since it's optical, mostly and pad will do - so choose the one you feel like suites you the best.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipBack;14177720
Here we go again. Since it's optical, it will work on any mouse pad (hard or soft).

Do you prefer a cloth surface or a hard surface?
Haven't used cloth in a very long time. I have a razer exactmat currently which is a hard surface but I have no preference.

I read somewhere that this sensor is very sensitive to certain colors on a pad as well as logos so that is part of my concern in seeking recommendations.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Stick with dark colors, as the newer firmware doesnt seem to like bright stuff. I would suggest puretrak talent or stealth. Both solid cloth pads that have been proven to work well with spawn. They are also better than the qck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you want a hard pad, I have the steelseries 4HD. I don't have any complaints -- haven't gotten my Spawn yet but I don't expect any issues.

·
Registered
563 Posts
works with no issues on artisan hien value edition - red, i prefer it over hien hard black because it's softer, provides more control and it's a bit more comfortable when you're planting your wrist over its rough surface, lod is kinda lower too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Optical mice like the spawn are best used with cloth for performance and for comfort. I wonder what the comparison would be between puretrak talent and hien value

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got 3 talent pads ( 1 sold already ) value is a bit thinner, not as silky smooth to the touch,quite different imo, If you're all about speed and precision get hien, if you just want something comfortable and soft get talent, talent is overrated imo, it's very high quality but it's not humidity proof nor does its texture provide much precision to the hardcore fps gamer.

When your mouse glides over the hien it's fast and rough, it glides with ease but at the same time you can use the feedback you get from the rough surface for control purposes, talent is just smooth comfortable and incosistent ( in terms of glide ) stay away if your palm tends to sweat during gameplay !

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianEx;14177750
To find a good mousepad I believe it's up to the individual to find one which works good for you. But what I could recommend is the Razer Goliathus, or Roccat Tatio or Sense. Thouse have been the last three I've tested out, lover them all - at the moment I'm using the Razer Goliathus. But thinking of going back to the Tatio. But again, also believe that a good mousepad is also very much up to the person using it, how you feel about it. And yeah, since it's optical, mostly and pad will do - so choose the one you feel like suites you the best.
smile.gif
Which Goliathus is yours? Speed? Fragged edition (with the green splash)?

Which firmware are you using?

I've heard that Spawn doesn't track well in light coloured surfaces with latest firmware and I'm wondering whether the green splash in Fragged edition is enough to affect its tracking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With firmware 30a it tracks on every pad, but the LOD is too high for me. With the 31 it skips/jitters on anything that has a slightly bright color imprinted on it. So you should choose your pad according to your preference for the lift off distance.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
firmware v30 - Talent White edition.
firmware v31 - Any dark/black talent / qck / goli / artisan
Firmware v32 Any dark/black talent / qck / goli / artisan

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianEx;14177750
smile.gif
I'm with you on the Goliathus, great pad. I'm rocking the control edition on my DeathAdder, I prefer a slightly grainier texture to a smooth texture, so it gets the job done nicely.

·
Registered
595 Posts
With firmware v31 max speed is quite low. If you are a low sens player you'll experience negative acceleration, even on black mousepad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
its true i used 4 different kinds of clothpads(ss 4l, goliathus speed black,frag edition and xtrac ripper)with ver 31,32,30a the mouse skips on very fast flick shot movement.tested on paint also just to confirm.if you are low sens player and trying to do fast swipes on cloth even black goliathus speed it will skip.

on the other hand on my black thunder9 hard pad sersor is perfect like the da but with very lower lod=perfect. Although DA tracks perfect but i prefer spawn ergonomics for fps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you guys think I will have problems on my Steelseries 9HD? It's black but it has small gray steelseries logos all over.

Haven't gotten my Spawn yet, also waiting on amazon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipBack;14202137
Do you guys think I will have problems on my Steelseries 9HD? It's black but it has small gray steelseries logos all over.

Haven't gotten my Spawn yet, also waiting on amazon.
im guessing it would be fine since it tracks gr8 on my thunder9 pad which WAS black but now after some 5-6years of wear and tear its actually gotten shiny if you directly under some lights.

I think the sensor should track fine on all dark and semi-dark hardpads.
someone mentioned it dosnt track well on razer scarab but that i consider to be a hybrid and not 100% hardpad....i maybe wrong though!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 9HD works fine, tested here (FW Ver. 32). I have switched to cloth pads though, some time back, currently using the Mionix Sargas 460. It's pretty nice, and almost solid black. The graphics on it are very small and located towards the corners, so they never get under the sensor during gameplay. The Sargas seems to be higher quality than the QCK+ (which also works just fine with the Spawn). That's not a dig, the QCK's are very good, especially for the price. The Sargas 460 seems to have slightly more friction than the QCK's do, if that's something you're looking for. The Puretrak Talent is another great choice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDelta;14205683
The 9HD works fine, tested here (FW Ver. 32). I have switched to cloth pads though, some time back, currently using the Mionix Sargas 460. It's pretty nice, and almost solid black. The graphics on it are very small and located towards the corners, so they never get under the sensor during gameplay. The Sargas seems to be higher quality than the QCK+ (which also works just fine with the Spawn). That's not a dig, the QCK's are very good, especially for the price. The Sargas 460 seems to have slightly more friction than the QCK's do, if that's something you're looking for. The Puretrak Talent is another great choice.
Thanks! I've been thinking about getting a larger mouse pad and transitioning to cloth. Gonna hold off a bit on that though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts