Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright - So here it is.

I need two 120mm case fans for my heavily delayed modded case, my ONLY real requirements are

-Under $30 total (Not incl shipping)
-Doesn't have to be SILENT but must not make a high pitched noise, I'd say the noise of my 1850 RPM Gentle Typhoons as a maxiumum.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
take your pick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

keep in mind the GT is 28dba
I know I could get one that meets the specs of the GT, I also know there are quite a few brands / models of 120mm fans people prefer specifically for cases I don't know about

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skillzero View Post
I know I could get one that meets the specs of the GT, I also know there are quite a few brands / models of 120mm fans people prefer specifically for cases I don't know about

if you like silence+CFM but lack static preassure find some noctua fans
the CM R4's aren't that bad for case fans
check the CM refurb store, i heard some people got like 2-3 fans for less than 24 bucks

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Yate Loon D12SL from Sidewinder Computers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
try the silenx fans -- the good quality ones. they're about $20 a pop, but they have the best noise/CFM ratio it's like 72cfm for like 18dba? only thing is i heard they break down fast but i'm not sure if the high end ones break down that fast.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Gentle Typhoon AP-14's. I'm using four of them ATM.

Look at item 1. in my sig. The Megatron is a good proxy for case fans as well as heatsinks in general. Fans like the Magma and the 1200 and 1600 rpm Slip Stream make less human-perceivable noise than their SPL's would indicate.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotboi218
View Post

try the silenx fans -- the good quality ones. they're about $20 a pop, but they have the best noise/CFM ratio it's like 72cfm for like 18dba? only thing is i heard they break down fast but i'm not sure if the high end ones break down that fast.

thats the like the R4's from CM.... underrated....there is NO way you can get 72CFM form an 18dba 120mm fan

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

Gentle Typhoon AP-14's. I'm using four of them ATM.

Look at item 1. in my sig. The Megatron is a good proxy for case fans as well as heatsinks in general. Fans like the Magma and the 1200 and 1600 rpm Slip Stream make less human-perceivable noise than their SPL's would indicate.

listen to ehume OP, I call him the local fan xpert

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
I would recommend the Noctua NF-P12. I have one and its basically silent. Only it costs $25 for some reason.

Go with a low rpm Gentle Typhoon and you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
GT AP-14 are pretty quiet imho. Some people hate the sound of GT's though so 1200rpm or lower S-Flex should be pretty quiet.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Slip Stream 1200 rpm cooled as well as the Enermax Magma, and much more quietly. The SS 1600 is quieter than it looks because its SPL is mostly white noise. The NZXT Real Silent is a very quiet fan that does produce a reasonable airflow.

I will repeat this: when I want to know about fans I look at item 1. After all, I began the exercise so I would know what various fans did. I used it to pick out the fan for my non-OC rig, for example. You learn new things every time you look at data - any data, actually. In this case, looking again told me that a Nexus Real Silent cooled better than an Ultra Kaze 1000.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotboi218 View Post
Which is a load of snot, sound to performance crown belongs to Noctua 54.3 CFM @ 19 dBA.
Not as strong static pressure wise pushes the same air as the Gentle Typhoons 1500 rpm one but 9 dBA quieter.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
Which is a load of snot, sound to performance crown belongs to Noctua 54.3 CFM @ 19 dBA.
Not as strong static pressure wise pushes the same air as the Gentle Typhoons 1500 rpm one but 9 dBA quieter.
Arguing from specs published by companies who sell to consumers who cannot check to see if the specs are true. Hmm. Reminds me of a saying that was old before I was born: "First liar never has a chance."

Because I do not believe published specs, I went out to test these things on my own. The 1450 rpm Gentle Typhoon - AP-14 - made the equivalent of 20 dBA on the Megahalems, while cooling it to 56.5c over ambient. The Noctua NF-P12 cooled the Mega to 57.5c and made 25.5 dBA noise.

So, until you test them you cannot compare the SilenX's to Noctuas. I like noctua fans a lot, but I do not trust their specs at all.

Fans made by Nidec (like the GT's), Sanyo Denki (San Aces), NMB-MAT (Panaflo), Delta, etc. sell to industry, who have the capacity to test fans for their adherence to spec. I trust those specs a lot more than what consumer oriented companies publish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts