Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i bought a xp-120 and it really worked worse than stock for soemreason, and yes it was installed correctly. i dont really knwo why.

the stock fan on my 3.6ghz is still not enough to keep it really cool, barely enough to even run not overclocked...

what is a good, non-water, heatsink?

and please dont give me some HUGE thing that is hard to install
(xp-120)

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke

ok i bought a xp-120 and it really worked worse than stock for soemreason, and yes it was installed correctly. i dont really knwo why.

the stock fan on my 3.6ghz is still not enough to keep it really cool, barely enough to even run not overclocked...

what is a good, non-water, heatsink?

and please dont give me some HUGE thing that is hard to install
(xp-120)

XP-120 is one of the best, you may have just put too much AS5 on it during the install.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

XP-120 is one of the best, you may have just put too much AS5 on it during the install.

AS5 prolly won;t do that but it'd be a good idea to check it. I use only a micro drop of compund on mine but then again I have a Car sized Copper Block on my CPU.... another thing you can check is the directions of all your case fans... If the air isn;t circulating right inside the case then it don;t matter how well your HS works when it just recirculates the hot air back onto the block.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani

AS5 prolly won;t do that but it'd be a good idea to check it. I use only a micro drop of compund on mine but then again I have a Car sized Copper Block on my CPU.... another thing you can check is the directions of all your case fans... If the air isn;t circulating right inside the case then it don;t matter how well your HS works when it just recirculates the hot air back onto the block.

it wouldnt work we tried 5 differnet amounts and even moving the heatsink around, nothing worked it was a sky rocket of 80C idle temp. it just doenst work for me for reason, whats a good heatsink that will let me overclock other than that one

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

it wouldnt work we tried 5 differnet amounts and even moving the heatsink around, nothing worked it was a sky rocket of 80C idle temp. it just doenst work for me for reason, whats a good heatsink that will let me overclock other than that one

What kind of fan are you using with it???? If the XP120 is working worse than stock then something is definitely wrong. Sounds like user error to me.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
I have a theory. After reading the heatsink guide (specifically about heatpipe technology) I learning quite a bit. I'm curious to see if you lay your case down flat so the XP-120 faces up that it might affect your temps in a good way. The heatpipes need to face vertically to be affective, according to the guide. Please let us know if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

What kind of fan are you using with it???? If the XP120 is working worse than stock then something is definitely wrong. Sounds like user error to me.

i used a 120mm fan that someone here told me to use. the xp-120 really doesnt work well for me, its TO big. it rubs against stuff on my motherboard making it almost possible to put it in. it just doesnt work well with my motherboard. i dont want a xp-120.... for one its way to big for me and really hard to remove (espically sense u gotta tear your whole comp apart to install/uninstall it) i just want a nice heatsink that is a bit smaller than that and actually will work better than a stock heatsink...and let me overclock

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

I have a theory. After reading the heatsink guide (specifically about heatpipe technology) I learning quite a bit. I'm curious to see if you lay your case down flat so the XP-120 faces up that it might affect your temps in a good way. The heatpipes need to face vertically to be affective, according to the guide. Please let us know if it makes a difference.

we tried everything possible this didnt work

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Bad chip? I seen it before....

i dont think so its running pretty normal with the stock fan...but serious not trying to be rude can u just give me a name of a heatsink and stop asking questions
i dont want a xp-120 even if it did work... it wont even fit even with the holder thingys u can buy seperate

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
The downside to the good HSF (ones that cool best) is their size. That because the more surface avaliable, the more they can disipate heat. Look at the XP120, XP90, Tower 112, and all the other good ones... Due to their masive size they need to be screwed on to the mobo to get the required support... Anyways...

This is another good one, I dont know if it meets your criteria, but from the reviews I've seen and people's feedback it performs really well.

Zalman

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

i dont think so its running pretty normal with the stock fan...but serious not trying to be rude can u just give me a name of a heatsink and stop asking questions
i dont want a xp-120 even if it did work... it wont even fit even with the holder thingys u can buy seperate

I gave you the one I use...

it's an athlon XP series Socket A right?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4408&CatId=792

and if that still isn;t working... then I'd say bad chip or MB for OC'ng

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

I gave you the one I use...

it's an athlon XP series Socket A right?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4408&CatId=792

and if that still isn;t working... then I'd say bad chip or MB for OC'ng

ummm its socket 775 or something,

and im running a intel p4 3.6ghz

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Well, I already suggested a different one, but that's your problem right there. How can the heatsink be correctly installed if you cant get to fit right? It's not making full contact with the cpu and thats why your getting bad temps.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Well, I already suggested a different one, but that's your problem right there. How can the heatsink be correctly installed if you cant get to fit right? It's not making full contact with the cpu and thats why your getting bad temps.

it was getting full contact the if we put thermal paste on the processor and laid the heatsink down it would mkae contact by far. when u lifted the heatsink back up there was paste on it even if u didnt it was touching the processor in everyplace

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

you think it's a RTFM problem then?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

it was getting full contact the if we put thermal paste on the processor and laid the heatsink down it would mkae contact by far. when u lifted the heatsink back up there was paste on it even if u didnt it was touching the processor in everyplace

Well I cant argue cuz I wasnt actually there, but having paste evenly spread by the heatsink doesnt mean it's actually making full proper contact with the cpu. Anyways, goodluck with whatever your new choice is.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Well I cant argue cuz I wasnt actually there, but having paste evenly spread by the heatsink doesnt mean it's actually making full proper contact with the cpu. Anyways, goodluck with whatever your new choice is.

hmmm... well it seems all the good heatsink require u to remove motherboard and stuff, which i already did 3 times this week cuz of the heating issues and i dont wanna do it agian... my stock isnt going to cut it either. hows this sound, whats a good one that will cool it more than a stock heatsink, even if i am not going to overclock, and it doesnt require u too remove motherboard (socket 775 please)

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

hmmm... well it seems all the good heatsink require u to remove motherboard and stuff, which i already did 3 times this week cuz of the heating issues and i dont wanna do it agian... my stock isnt going to cut it either. hows this sound, whats a good one that will cool it more than a stock heatsink, even if i am not going to overclock, and it doesnt require u too remove motherboard (socket 775 please)

one good one is the TT jungle512, which is better then the stock and u dont need to remove everything. also im not positve but i think also u can use the gigabyte 3drocket cooler which is even better, which i dunt know if u have to remove the mobo or not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts