Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently did a major upgrade on my desktop and now I've got these components just lying around:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 - OCed to 3.7 GHz
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 mobo
4GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 MHz memory
Sapphire HD 4650

I was actually going to sell them but did a few searches and found that the value has dropped a lot. And since I recently started folding, I thought I might add a 250W PSU and a 10GB hdd to make it a 24/7 folding rig. So as the title says, which would be the best OS/client for this setup?

Because the hdd is only 10GB I was thinking of XP. But after a few Google searches, Linux seems to be in the lead. The only Linux stuff I've used is Ubuntu and that was ages ago. So yeah, suggestions, please!

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Linux is the best, but theyre all fairly similar.

I would go with win xp because it has more functionality if you ever need it for anything else.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCG View Post
Thanks for the reply, maxhudson. Decided to go with XP in the end. Because I had a look at a couple of Linux guides on FahWiki and they look sooo complex!

Good choice, I would of gone with XP too.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Linux folding is really not that complicated, and the PPD increase can be significant, especially when doing 64-bit SMP WUs. GPU folding only takes roughly a 2-3% performance hit.

I get about 10k PPD with a 2.3 Quad and a GTS 250 (5k GPU 5k CPU)

I am on folding break for the summer unfortunately though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts