Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit -> Windows 8.1 64-bit a couple days ago.

I was using Webroot for the past year on Windows 7, and I have one license left for another half a year so I could get that again, but I was curious if any of you had better suggestions.

This rig is mostly used for gaming, watching media, and Uni course work. I do go through a lot of media and downloads, however.

When trying to look up tests and rankings for anti-virus software it's so overloaded with sponsored software and other junk that is hard to find a reliable test resource to compare, especially with things like Webroot not using a traditional detection and database system so it's hard to compare.

I can get BitDefender, or Nod32 for $6 each for a year, so I'm contemplating one of those.

A lot of people say MSE + Malwarebytes scan every couple weeks is plenty sufficient, and while that is probably true, I still want peace of mind with something that has a bit more proactive protection than MSE.

I'm looking for something pretty light on resources and high performance, with a decent GUI and settings. Not to mention fairly good detection rates.

I really liked Webroot, and I've heard a lot of good reviews from other sources (PCMag gave it Editor's Choice for instance, but I take that with a grain of salt). But part of me wants to try something different. A lot of people say Webroot is a total joke (read: bad) piece of anti-vrius as well, but that's probably just people on the internet blowing smoke out their you know what.

Anyway. Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Nod32 for $6, seems like a solid lightweight choice.

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
5,006 Posts
Avast and Avira come to mind.

You could go ZoneAlarm, but you would need a 5960X and 32GB 3333Mhz RAM to run it and not lag. lol

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phre0n View Post

I personally use MSE and comodo firewall.. so far it works well and not really system taxing..

For options though, I've always liked nod32 or even try f-secure, but not sure how taxing it is.
Comodo Firewall is great.

But MSE, in my experience, is a performance hog. Memory light and seemingly unobtrusive, yes, but I catch it eating up a whole CPU core in the background all the time.

Kaspersky seems pretty light for the protection it provides, but isn't free. Avast! wasn't too bad when I tried it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Well, I found a way to "freeze" my Webroot subscription, so until I activate it again it is frozen at the half a year remaining, pretty nifty.

Trying out the Nod32 trial currently to see if it's something I'd be interested in getting a year subscription for $6 for. Two things I already don't like: seems to be way more resource intensive than Webroot (albeit it is still pretty lightweight), and it takes a long time to scan compared to Webroot (albeit probably a better/deeper scan, I think?).

Hmph. I really don't know what to go with. A lot of people recommend just going MSE+Malwarebytes scan every once in awhile for Windows 8/8.1, but like I said, MSE is a bit too lackluster for me and doesn't give me peace of mind while crawling around the internet and whatnot.

I'm tempted to just continue to use Webroot, but I don't actually know how it performs in protection against the others as it hasn't been included in many recent performance tests / malware volleys.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorphon View Post

Interesting. Well, I found a way to "freeze" my Webroot subscription, so until I activate it again it is frozen at the half a year remaining, pretty nifty.

Trying out the Nod32 trial currently to see if it's something I'd be interested in getting a year subscription for $6 for. Two things I already don't like: seems to be way more resource intensive than Webroot (albeit it is still pretty lightweight), and it takes a long time to scan compared to Webroot (albeit probably a better/deeper scan, I think?).

Hmph. I really don't know what to go with. A lot of people recommend just going MSE+Malwarebytes scan every once in awhile for Windows 8/8.1, but like I said, MSE is a bit too lackluster for me and doesn't give me peace of mind while crawling around the internet and whatnot.

I'm tempted to just continue to use Webroot, but I don't actually know how it performs in protection against the others as it hasn't been included in many recent performance tests / malware volleys.
1) Webroot is not an antivirus, it is a pile of garbage that is filled with false positives. and I had a few systems to repair that were heavily infected while they had Webroot on!

I have a 10 user / 3 year license for webroot that's collecting dust.

2) Yes, Webroot will be faster than any AV in scanning, again, because it's not an AV, it compares the digital fingerprints + hashes with the cloud, so if the hashes say that the file is safe, it doesn't scan it, hence why you think it's faster. NOD32 is not the lightest, but it still light, what you have to take into consideration is what other system quirks that AV brings, NOD32 has 0 issues are their programming team is great and it's a stable top notch product.

3) I wouldn't touch Bitdefender, it gets great reviews as its detection is good, but the program itself is garbage:

Read this:

Bitdefender was the issue....

4) Norton Security is one of the lightest as well, but I hate its user interface and the fact that it needs a browser toolbar to properly scan http threats whereas NOD32 scans all HTTP traffic on any browser you use and without any extensions so you don't have to worry when a browser just gets updated and the addons/extentions are not compatible anymore which is what always happens with Kaspersky AV for example

5) MSE is not an antivirus, it looks like one, but offers horrible protection against new threats:

Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender is the worst Antivirus

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus666 View Post

1) Webroot is not an antivirus, it is a pile of garbage that is filled with false positives. and I had a few systems to repair that were heavily infected while they had Webroot on!

I have a 10 user / 3 year license for webroot that's collecting dust.

2) Yes, Webroot will be faster than any AV in scanning, again, because it's not an AV, it compares the digital fingerprints + hashes with the cloud, so if the hashes say that the file is safe, it doesn't scan it, hence why you think it's faster. NOD32 is not the lightest, but it still light, what you have to take into consideration is what other system quirks that AV brings, NOD32 has 0 issues are their programming team is great and it's a stable top notch product.

3) I wouldn't touch Bitdefender, it gets great reviews as its detection is good, but the program itself is garbage:

Read this:

4) Norton Security is one of the lightest as well, but I hate its user interface and the fact that it needs a browser toolbar to properly scan http threats whereas NOD32 scans all HTTP traffic on any browser you use and without any extensions so you don't have to worry when a browser just gets updated and the addons/extentions are not compatible anymore which is what always happens with Kaspersky AV for example

5) MSE is not an antivirus, it looks like one, but offers horrible protection against new threats:

Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender is the worst Antivirus
Interesting. I have several months left on my Webroot, but if it's as bad as you say it is perhaps I should make the jump to NOD32...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
LOl I am using MSE never had an issue but now I am reinstalling so maybe I should re-evaluate that

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the past I've always used ESET NOD32, which was really great, it also had a gaming mode as far as I remember, where it'll deactivate realtime scanning and stuff so you don't have to bother with it while gaming.

Now since two years I'm running the Windows Firewall with Windows Defender, most people here probably would look shocked at me.

But really the only thing you need is brain.exe
biggrin.gif

I never download strange software from sources I don't know, I never open email attachments or links from people I don't know.
Also I don't let people stick their USB sticks into my pc (that sounds so wrong hahaha) and other way round.

And I never happend to have any virus, trojan, malware etc. never got my bank account stolen, never ever got one of my accounts stolen, so it proves that I don't need any thirdparty software.
And I DO surf on darker sites sometimes if I want to get "stuff". But it's like on normal sites, you have to know the source.
smile.gif

If I ever download something suspisious, I run it in a virtual machine which I only got for downloading stuff and so on, that's the most safe way in my opinion. But the safest way would ne plugging off the LAN cable, tape up all usb ports and never let anyone at your pc. But yeah that's not what you asked for
biggrin.gif

People also tend to be less careful when having a "great" anti virus software and firewall so they download random stuff don't care to look, they only relate on their "awesome" anti virus and think it'll protect them. But a freshly released virus which was properly encrypted and stuff, wouldn't be detected if it wasn't in the database of the antivirus software, so it's pretty much useless at that point.

But yeah most average people wouldn't just use Windows Defender, so if you really have to, use ESET. In my opinion it was the best antivirus I've had and I tried many expensive ones.

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus666 View Post

Read this:

Its strange... I have never had a single issue with bitdefender and its one of the most lightweight antiviruses I have used. In terms of problems with the firewall, if you turn off windows firewall, it fixes problems with Bitdefenders firewall.
EDIT: turning off profiles aswell from within the settings also fixes 99% of issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts