Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so I'm in my first web scripting course (new area of programming to me)... and currently we are doing PHP...

The annoyance is that you need a web server to run the PHP script for you to test your code...

I have netbeans from doing Java dev, and i noticed the PHP availability in it, but it doesn't seem to work when I try to run my code with the local server setting... trick to setting this up?

till now I've been using WinSCP text editor and editing the php file right on my schools web server, so then i just save, then refresh the page and can see changes rather quickly, but looking for a local option that will allow me to test it (dreamweaver or netbeans?)

Mac compatibility is a preference.. thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
XAMPP by far the best choice IMO. It's what I've used for the past couple years on my personal machines. never used the mac version of it, but I have used the windows and linux versions and both are excellent for development.

Take a look http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

btw netbeans good choice
it's my IDE of choice!

·
Registered
960 Posts
You should be able to run a low footprint web server and real PHP right on your Mac for testing.

As for a development environment, most any programmer-aware text editor will do. I use Kate (KDE), but Gedit used to work fine. Some swear by vi or emacs from the command line.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I can run all that on my phone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts