Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am in search for the best possible headphones for listening only classical music, nothing else. no gaming no movies.

Max budget 200-250 USD

I have AD700's and liked them very much, just need one pair dedicated for classical music.

Thank you for the help

·
Registered
492 Posts
AKG 702's but I think they're well out of your pricerange and I can't recommend them based off personal experience.

·
Registered
351 Posts
AD700's are actually really, really good for classical - better than most other headphones in its price range imo. Stepping up would be going to

Audio Technica AD900's, Beyerdynamic DT880's or AKG K701's/Q701's/K702's.

Although the DT880's and AKG's would both be a considerable step up from the AD700's, all of the listed AKG's and the DT880's would really benefit from a dedicated headphone amp. The AD900's sound pretty much at their best without a dedicated headphone amp. Even the 32 ohm DT880's do improve a fair bit when powered properly.

Are the AD900's a worthwhile upgrade from the AD700's, though? For some people they are, but for others the sound is quite similar.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Actually the K701s aren't that great. The midrange is off. A much better AKG that is also cheaper and better for classical is the K501.

K501 should be well within the OP's budget, but will need an amplifier.

Tossing aside the expensive Grados, expensive Sennheisers, expensive Stax..

The OP is left with Beyerdynamic headphones (DT880, 600 ohm, needs amplifier), Audio Technica headphones, Sennheiser HD600 (needs amp).

If the OP has no desire to purchase or build an amp, he's better off staying with his AD700s imo.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm loving my setup: Sennheiser HD598s with Audinst MX1 as DAC.

The AKGs, ATs, and Beyers mentioned might be a little colored for classical listening--that's my personal opinion. Although sometimes a warm-sounding pair of headphones can make classical music sound good too.

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
To be fair the hd598 is one of the most colored sennheisers in production. Its purposely made that way to give the headphone a less neutral, dull, boring sound other sennheisers have been labeled with. In classical music, you typically want a very neutral sound. The hd600s are very good for this reason.

Arnott, the k701s lack texture, vibrance and freedom along with with having a very synthetic and clinical sound. It sounds like a good headphone, but when you compare it closely to other headphones like the hd600, the hd580, the hifiman He500, the k501(much more vibrant and live sounding than the k701s), the hd650(better for jazz IMO. Too dark, but can also be good for symphonies since it has that kick in the bass most classical headphones lack..which brings up the better question what type of classical does the OP enjoy? Very important question.), the hd800s(very colored for classical music, but still very enjoyable), stax lambda headphones and many many others.

Classical is one of my favorite genres of music to listen to. When I try out a headphone I always always inspect it by listening to it sith classical music amongst other genres. I've even done multiple side by side comparisons which is why I can tell the difference in the k701s most people will pass over or not notice unless they listen to both closely.

I think there is an old review from 2002 on headfi that does an even better job at describing the differences in detail then I can on my phone. I think it was called classical music shootout. If you can find it, great, if not I will locate it after my nap if you care to read it. Was a good read.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Firstly,

Thanks for the answers all.

I have a dedicated amp bought like 5-10 years ago cost was like 500 euros.. Would that drive anything?

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahar View Post

Firstly,

Thanks for the answers all.

I have a dedicated amp bought like 5-10 years ago cost was like 500 euros.. Would that drive anything?
Cost doesn't always indicate quality, but without knowing the exact model of the amplifier, I can't say for sure whether it's good. Knowing whether it's rated for 600 ohm headphones is huge. I'm not sure who would make a dedicated amp for 500 euros and not have it drive 600 ohm headphones though.
rolleyes.gif

So it should work, unless you were pillaged & R'd of your money.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I checked and my amp and it's Denon avr1801, is that enough for those mentioned headphones, AKG 701/702, 501, AD900, bayerdynamic dt880?

So, what do you guys suggest with that amp in mind? =) plus occasional listening with pc with x-fi titanium HD soundcard

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Dunno tbh as I can't find decent specs relating to headphone out output anywhere for it :/

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts

·
Since C64
556 Posts
they are unfortunately out of that budget range, but if you are dreaming for awesome Classical music listening session you should look no further: http://www.westone.com/catalog/um3x-true-3-way-monitor
I own them, listen mostly Classical and opera: it's like being in a concert room, you have the sensation of even people surrounding you.. they are almost tangibles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those Westones look pretty awesome. Thanks for posting them...I'll add them to my wish list.

Yahar, I'd recommend the K701s over the Sennheisers in that range only because they have (in my opinion) a larger soundstage. They aren't quite as comfortable to wear, but it's not like they're uncomfortable or anything. Plus the K701s have deeper bass and have a little more versatility.

My source:

Classical Music Headphones

1 - 15 of 15 Posts