Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, it was my birfday recently
and i got some cash.... so ima throw it in my computer. I was hoping to get a 4850 but i lack the powersupply to run one. So What is the BEST Powersupply i can get for 50$ Shipped that will run a 4850 stable?

I found

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139008

It looks great.. 39 bucks shipped after promo plus rebate so thats 29 dollars... its a steal... and its got a fan to keep my card cool too. Im worried it does not have enought amperage though, only 30 AMPS on its Single 12V Rail.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclipse View Post
It would run a 4850 fine
Yeah for <$50 shipped, I'd say you picked out a fairly nice PSU

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by j0z3 View Post
Get a OCZ 500/600w StealthXStream.
The single rail Corsair @ 30 amps is better than the dual rail OCZ at 18A/18A.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
if you want one of those you should rather get a 4870 when price drops

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
haha, this is how it starts.....

back in the day i planned on swapping my HP case out and buying an ATX mobo for my old 4200+ so i could OC/crossfire my x1950PRO in the future if need be.

but instead i built an entire rig.......and then 8-9 months later invested another $1200(including monitor) into it to what it is today

stop now or forever hold your peace

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules View Post
The single rail Corsair @ 30 amps is better than the dual rail OCZ at 18A/18A.
The OCZ 500/600W have 34A/44A combined respectively. They would have no problems running a 4850.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k
View Post

The OCZ 500/600W have 34A/44A combined respectively. They would have no problems running a 4850.

I never said that they would NOT run the 4850. I just said that I would rather have a single rail PSU that is more stable than a PSU with multiple rails, especially OCZ PSUs that have a high "ripple" factor (unstable as you approach load).

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Great choice in PSU. Definitely one worthy of recommendation.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

I never said that they would NOT run the 4850. I just said that I would rather have a single rail PSU that is more stable than a PSU with multiple rails, especially OCZ PSUs that have a high "ripple" factor (unstable as you approach load).

How exactly is a single rail more stable than a multi-rail? Please be specific (and please don't link to PC Power myths as the basis for your reasoning). Under real world conditions there is little difference between the two. 99.9% of the time, the number of rails in a non-issue.

And last time I checked, the 500W and 600W FSP Episilon based OCZs were able to stay within spec for ripple. The 500W is well within spec and the 600W sees levels similar to the much praised Corsair tx750. Certainly the cx400 is the better built unit, I was just correctly pointing out the capabilities of the OCZs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k View Post
How exactly is a single rail more stable than a multi-rail? Please be specific (and please don't link to PC Power myths as the basis for your reasoning). Under real world conditions there is little difference between the two. 99.9% of the time, the number of rails in a non-issue.

And last time I checked, the 500W and 600W FSP Episilon based OCZs were able to stay within spec for ripple. The 500W is well within spec and the 600W sees levels similar to the much praised Corsair tx750. Certainly the vx450 is the better built unit, I was just correctly pointing out the capabilities of the OCZs.
I consider myself lucky that my power supply hasn't done anything since I've bought it last summer when I built my rig.

I guess I'm running my 4850 @ 18 AMPS right now then, since it only takes 1 power connector, right? Could this cause my GPU to not work at it's full potential? I wish I would've gotten a different power supply but I didn't do my research on this one.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Nemesis View Post
I consider myself lucky that my power supply hasn't done anything since I've bought it last summer when I built my rig.

I guess I'm running my 4850 @ 18 AMPS right now then, since it only takes 1 power connector, right? Could this cause my GPU to not work at it's full potential? I wish I would've gotten a different power supply but I didn't do my research on this one.
No way, it will only draw what it needs. Even a heavily OCed 4850 wouldn't go much past 130W. That is distributed between the PCIe slot and the PCIe connector, both of which are on different rails. 130W or ~7A divided across two 18A rails is nothing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts