Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My end system will be similar to what i have now but with a Ph II x6 1075T/1090T OCed and SLI GTX 460's or SLI of one of the nVidia kepler cards.
There are a few PSU's which i have taken a fancy to and just unsure about which on to get? i would say it is between the XFX and corsair on price, but then on the long run i will save money on power using the NZXT as they have a better 80+ rating?

NZXT Hale90 750W (80+ GOLD) £137.42
NZXT Hale90 850W (80+ GOLD) £160.92
Corsair HX850 (80+ SILVER) £131.65
XFX 850W BE (80+ SILVER) £111.21

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Out of those I'd definitely go for the XFX 850W. It's pretty overkill for SLI 460's though. Guess it's ok to leave room for future upgrades.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Both the NZXT units are good but kind of pricey. It's up to you if you want a Gold rated unit. The Corsair HX850 is downright overpriced. And the XFX is, as always, very competitively priced. Myself I'd go for the XFX.
I don't know what other units may be available where you're shopping, but you could also look into the Antec TPQ-850 and the Silverstone Strider ST85F-P. Historically they've been priced higher than the XFX but I did want to bring them to your attention just in case.

As the other poster said, 850W is overkill for two GTX 460s but if you want to be set for a long time, 850W is probably about right as it should be enough for just about any two video cards on the market (at least as far as current cards go).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am planning on OCing s much as i can. im not very experienced at it but i still want to improve my skills. i want to OC the CPU to around 3.6-4GHz and the GPU's will go as far as they can. as i can do them easily with afterburner

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
well PSU quality will matter a lot for OCing so keep that in mind. I just upgraded from a low quality 950 watt to a high quality 850 watt and I can now run my CPU at 3.6 instead of 3.4 so yea it definitely matters. I could probably OC higher too if not for heat.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickninja View Post
Out of those I'd definitely go for the XFX 850W. It's pretty overkill for SLI 460's though. Guess it's ok to leave room for future upgrades.
overkill is good when it comes to PSUs

I have the corsair 850 80+ and its been good to me so far. Very quiet.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
overkill is good when it comes to PSUs

I have the corsair 850 80+ and its been good to me so far. Very quiet.
No, overkill to that extent is just a waste of money if you never plan on using close to your PSU's power.

@ OP, 500-550w could power two GTX 460's, so I'd say get a 650W or 750W XFX, or an Antec TPN-650/750, there's no need for 850w uless you plan on SLI'ing two GTX 480's

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i want to make sure i am future proof as well which is y i am going for higher than i need
, (even if it is way to much)

EDIT: i looked at the XFX 750W and i found it for £89.49 (free p&p), i can get that as long as it will be able to easily SLI OCed cards and OC a Ph x6 to around 3.8GHZ?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Yes.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
the xfx will have no problem even if you throw on some 470's on it

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confessed View Post
They aren't the same at all(besides the fact that they both perform well) and the HX850 is always more expensive.
I think he meant that just like the HX850 the XFX 850 is a very good psu.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts