Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 5900x and a Dark Hero on the way and am looking for the best RAM that isn't super crazy priced. It also would Ideally fit under a NHD14. Currently looking at 2 sets of this CORSAIR Vengeance LPX. Is there something else that's better that I should be looking at?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
Anything higher than 3600 MHz might not work and if does work wont be a whole ton faster
Anything slower than 3600 MHz and you start to lose performance and it does not matter a whole ton what CAS you get 3600 MHz in so CL16 is fine

And last buy a kit with four in it dont buy two kits with two they might now work together so you are better off with either a bigger kit of two or a kit of four

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
And last buy a kit with four in it dont buy two kits with two they might now work together so you are better off with either a bigger kit of two or a kit of four
This isn't true. As long as you get exactly the same model two kits of two sticks is just as likely to work as one kit of four sticks. There isn't anything that makes the four sticks work better together. At the same timings there is no difference between 2x dual kits and 1x quad kits.

The one exception to this is that they usually don't make four sticks with timings quite as low, so those timings are more likely to work than the two stick kits with the lowest timings. If you are not pushing the timings for what the memory controller can run two sticks per channel at, there is no difference between dual and quad kits at all. The manufactures don't test for matching DIMMs or bin sticks for two DIMMs per channel or anything like that.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
Those are great in my experience. I can run these timings on either of the two kits I have:

VDIMM is at 1.40V

·
Overclocker
4,363 Posts
You don't have to tweak the ram. All you need to do is use the Ram Profile in the bios (under ram timings) for 3600MHz CL14 and call it a day.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,886 Posts
You don't have to tweak the ram. All you need to do is use the Ram Profile in the bios (under ram timings) for 3600MHz CL14 and call it a day.
True, that is basically what the settings above are too. My timings are slightly better then this motherboard's B-die @3600-1.45V preset, but that difference makes almost no improvement in performance.

14-14-14-30 is enough better than the 16-16-16-36 DOCP/XMP settings that it is worth setting something faster than DOCP. That memory is almost guaranteed to do 14-14-14-30 at 1.45V. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well I went ahead and ordered this kit. Supposed to be b-die and dual-rank, so should be good.
Great choice!!! That's a really nice kit with a good bin of B-die.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts