Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot that AMD systems really like tighter timings instead of faster clock speed for memory. However, some memory intensive apps do seem to perform better with the faster speeds despite bad timings.

I have pretty high-end, versatile RAM. What would be the optimal settings if my primary concerns are speed when running [email protected] or playing WoW? (programming and surfing the web are already sufficiently fast
)

As you can see from my sig rig, I can get the timings pretty tight if I try. I could also probably run this RAM at 2000MHz if I loosen them. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
There's not much to gain past ~1600 or so, just shoot for that number with the lowest timings possible.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
CL5, oh my

You could try looser timings at 2000, but at ~1600 CAS5 vs. 2000 CAS9; 2000 CAS9 is about equal to 1600 CAS6-7, and is often harder to stabilize; at which point, the CAS5 would definitely win; if you can manage 2000 CAS 8-9-8, 7-9-7 or lower it might see a nice edge though

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
They effect will be minimal in both cases.
Lower voltage, 1.77Vdimm is not healthy for PSC IC's, OCZ is pushing it stocking these at 1.7 which is kind of ridiculous. Essentially this is mediocre ram with a ton of voltage ^_^

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried 1900MHz with 8-9-8-30 without success. It boots, but it won't pass LinX. Looks like I'd need 9-9-9 for anywhere around 2000MHz. I guess I'm sticking with my current setup. I was able to reduce the voltage by increasing the TRAS to 20T though.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdolphin View Post
They effect will be minimal in both cases.
Lower voltage, 1.77Vdimm is not healthy for PSC IC's, OCZ is pushing it stocking these at 1.7 which is kind of ridiculous. Essentially this is mediocre ram with a ton of voltage ^_^
I'm pretty sure klaxian said they are under warranty up to 1.8V. It doesn't make sense ?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klaxian View Post
What would be the optimal settings if my primary concerns are speed when running [email protected] or playing WoW? ...Thoughts?
Watever does not crash teh computar!

Srsly... I meant that.

I read enough posts in the folding section that showed higher memory performance was nearly moot in comparison to better/faster CPU's for folding.

As for WoW? I used to play that on an Athlon XP 1800, so... I think your pretty much smokin the tires off it with your sig rig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts