Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care if it's wireless or not, I just need the best option that won't slow down my speed or add latency to my games. What is the best router made?

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightUp View Post

I don't care if it's wireless or not, I just need the best option that won't slow down my speed or add latency to my games. What is the best router made?
Can you get DrayTek where you live?

I wouldn't say they are THE BEST, but they certainly kick ass.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
ASUSs rt-n56u

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3Chi3f View Post

I'm not sure what your question is asking. I believe that iptables is just a linux application, where pfsense is based on BSD.
Although, I suppose with iptables any linux distribution can be used as a firewall.
Oh it wasn't a question as such.

More of a suggestion to use iptables to set up a router
tongue.gif
But with stuff like pfsense who would... me I guess... too much time!
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
As already mentioned the very best router would be either a commercial or a custom built one based on a PC.

I personally use WatchGuard Firebox II running m0n0wall.

Here are some OLD pictures of the router.

This was my previous setup for my network. Totally different now, especially since I own a house:

I added some heat sinks to the NIC ICs and replaced the 5V fans with 12V fans, keeping it quiet:

The compact flash card with m0n0wall, I now use an SD-Card. Also upgraded from 64MB RAM to 256MB RAM:

I highly recommend using m0n0wall, pfSense or anything! I would never go back to a consumer grade router again, never. if you want extra security like, virus scanning or SPAM filtering; check out Untangle. Of course, there's always IPTables
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Do you want a consumer grade router or business class.
And what is your budget you are willing to spend on the router.

·
Comic Book Enthusiast
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybeat View Post

ASUSs rt-n56u
+1! Best wifi router, I get my full speeds with fios 43/32

·
Registered
263 Posts
You need to let everyone know how much you want spend? I'm guessing your talking consumer and not business so any of the above suggestions are a good bet

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Like if your saying the Sub 100 I have the WNDR3700 as many others. Supports a WAN Bandwidth of approx 500 megabits / second, does 4096 simultaneous connections, has gigabit, dual band, with a 680mhz processor with 64mb of RAM.

ASUS's RT N16U , N56U are very good
The new Linksys E2500, E3200. and E4200 are alot better than before in terms of design and performance
For Netgears are is the WNDR 3700, 3800, 4000. 4500.
The WNR 3500 is good on a budget with single band and is similar to the RT-N16U

1 - 12 of 12 Posts