Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be some sort of diagram to look at for the most efficient and quietest air cooled setup in a ATX full tower? For example, is it more efficient to have the PSU with air intake from beneath the GPU? Or would it be better to have the PSU on the top with air intake above the CPU?

Can a PSU be put upside down like this and still be completely safe?

Or is it just that some PSUs are designed for bottom mount, and others for top mount?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yes, it can be put upside down and it is safe. A Psu is designed to be put at the top or bottom of a case (depending on the case design). My HX850 is designed for both, the logos work even if you flip it around haha. As for blowing air, it won't make a big difference.. if any. The fans on the PSU are not super powerful, im not even sure if its intake or exhaust. Mainly, you just want good fans for your case, the PSU is not a deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
There is no single best way to do cooling - the best thing to do for any given situation is different, and depends on your hardware and your goals (the best cooling may not be the quietest, certain options may not be possible with certain drive or gpu combinations in some cases etc).

The best thing to do would be to post what you want and ask for help with choosing additional components to finalise a build (or post what you have and we can make suggestions to help you for better cooling etc).

·
Registered
264 Posts
You might want to look for a case with a PSU fan intake. My NZXT Lexa S has it, my PSU pulls in under air from under the case, and then pushes it out the back. The air never even interacts with the inside of the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.