Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hi. I'v only ever used iTunes for music. BUt my coworker gave me a few FLAC files to listen to.

What program would u recomend me to play the FLAC files withought having to convert them to something else.

Thax!!

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ed102r View Post
Hi hi. I'v only ever used iTunes for music. BUt my coworker gave me a few FLAC files to listen to.

What program would u recomend me to play the FLAC files withought having to convert them to something else.

Thax!!

Foobar2000

Or maybe VLC if you are only gonna be listening to them briefly.

• Rep+
Reactions: ed102r

·
Premium Member
18,618 Posts
WinAMP with ASIO plugin

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
Foobar2000

Or maybe VLC if you are only gonna be listening to them briefly.
I agree with these choices, in that order
Foobar2000 is great, and VLC can open just about anything.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
The reason I say only use VLC if you are just planning to listen to the FLAC's breifyly is because VLC is primarily a video player and therefore seriously lacks any music library management features which you find in iTunes or Foobar2000 etc...

I use Foobar2000 with the ASIO plugin and the ALAC (Apple Lossles) codec so I play lossless and dodge out the windows direct sound path.

·
Premium Member
18,618 Posts
What advantages does Foobar2000 hold over WinAmp ASIO?

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
What advantages does Foobar2000 hold over WinAmp ASIO?
It doesn't really....

What advantages does WinAMP with ASIO have over Foobar with ASIO?

Foobar2000 does however have far more options to tweak sound and playback settings and an endless list of plugins to use.

I like Foobar because it just looks good and straightfoward, therefore is very easy to use after 30 mins of playing about with the interface.

Some people reckon the sound quality is better in FooBar2000 as well. I don't really know about that and can't be bothered to try.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ed102r View Post
Foobar2000. I use it for everything but WMP files -- including game music (Unreal modtracker formats) and the elusive .wv format (which I prefer, best of both worlds lossless and lossy).

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I use Media Monkey but I'm checking out "Foobar2000" now.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not to thread jack but it does have to do with foobar
but how do you get m4a support for foobar. I tried the copy/paste to components folder and it didnt do squat. Now back to the thread

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclipse View Post
but how do you get m4a support for foobar. I tried the copy/paste to components folder and it didnt do squat. Now back to the thread

works fine for me

i remember installing some codecs for conversions,otherwise its just a standard 0.9.5 foobar installation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
+1 For WinAMP.

No interface customisation admittedly but with the new Bento skin it looks fantastic right out of the box, with none of the messing about involved with Foobar.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaclipse View Post

Stick the ALAC codec in the foobarr2000 components folder if you have m4a lossless files.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts