Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
best solution for Home PC protection - kasperky VS norton VS bitdefender VS what you use

hola to all,

which is the best solution using an Antivirus with full features for home pc ?
malwarebytes free is just good BUT the paid version is better
i dont think that avg, avira avast are good, they dont have full features and if you want something you have to upgrade

which is the best to use then? kasperky? norton? bitdefender? OR something else, which is your formula to full protect your rig?

all advices, tips and suggestions are welcomed

cheers

cheers.gif

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob View Post

I always trusted Kaspersky. BitDefender is supposed to be really good too.

See independent test and make the choice yourself.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
it seems that bitdefender is first, kaspersky is second and norton is in the third position, i think that i ll try kaspersky

which product of kaspersky do you suggest?
Kaspersky Lab Internet Security or something else?

always talking about home rig protection

·
ShakinHips
1,902 Posts
I use bitdefender on almost all my computers in the family.
Family Deal.
Avast has em to but i like using them on computers that are friends or helping out others out there.
Kaspersky is right up there to
biggrin.gif

Anti Virus should be enough.
But depends on how much of a deal you want and money youd like to save along with your habits.

BUT right nwo you can get a deal on the entire total security.
save 50 bucks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've worked in the security space for about 3 years now, sure its not a huge ammount of time but its enough for me to know the current status.

I would personally recommend you save the money from antivirus software and buy or build a router/firewall with a signature and IDS built in, Sophos for example offers an XG firewall home edition which is good.
And IPFire have an easy setup and make it easy to configure the IPsec firewall which can be tedious doing it via command line, luckily they give you a gui.

In terms of raw antivirus software, i choose Norton. It's not the best, its not the worst its a jack of all trades and master of none. Saying that, it's stable. More stable and more compatible than the other two. It's used worldwide for a lot of enterprises and businesses so it's got to be stable.
Kaspersky and Bitdefender also must be stable but they aren't as stable as Norton is.

I currently use Sophos for my systems and my family's systems for the simple fact it's stable and it works. Antivirus isn't going to protect you from a complex attack, a targetted attack or anything likewise but it will protect you from the common stuff that is around like adware, spyware and worms, some rootkits, some botnets etc.

I actually work for AVG. And what I will say is that the product is very advanced in depth, people say its not but it actually is.

There is an emulator that runs every program unknown inside an emulator (pretty much a sandbox) and analyzes it's behaviour which is called the Identity protection module.
It's called identity protection because the emulator isolates the program from the rest of the system, meaning if the unknown software is spyware or something like it and it gets found to be malicious it will be blocked and no harm is done to critical system files.

It is possible to bypass this as with all antiviruses.

And yes it is worth getting a paid antivirus but only if you need stability and need protection better than free software. I use free Sophos Home, home.sophos.com because it provides you with a basic management console, a good antivirus with great signatures and it runs REALLY stable.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1mike View Post

I've worked in the security space for about 3 years now, sure its not a huge ammount of time but its enough for me to know the current status.

I would personally recommend you save the money from antivirus software and buy or build a router/firewall with a signature and IDS built in, Sophos for example offers an XG firewall home edition which is good.
And IPFire have an easy setup and make it easy to configure the IPsec firewall which can be tedious doing it via command line, luckily they give you a gui.

In terms of raw antivirus software, i choose Norton. It's not the best, its not the worst its a jack of all trades and master of none. Saying that, it's stable. More stable and more compatible than the other two. It's used worldwide for a lot of enterprises and businesses so it's got to be stable.
Kaspersky and Bitdefender also must be stable but they aren't as stable as Norton is.

I currently use Sophos for my systems and my family's systems for the simple fact it's stable and it works. Antivirus isn't going to protect you from a complex attack, a targetted attack or anything likewise but it will protect you from the common stuff that is around like adware, spyware and worms, some rootkits, some botnets etc.

I actually work for AVG. And what I will say is that the product is very advanced in depth, people say its not but it actually is.

There is an emulator that runs every program unknown inside an emulator (pretty much a sandbox) and analyzes it's behaviour which is called the Identity protection module.
It's called identity protection because the emulator isolates the program from the rest of the system, meaning if the unknown software is spyware or something like it and it gets found to be malicious it will be blocked and no harm is done to critical system files.

And yes it is worth getting a paid antivirus but only if you need stability and need protection better than free software. I use free Sophos Home, home.sophos.com because it provides you with a basic management console, a good antivirus with great signatures and it runs REALLY stable.
i agree, paid AV is always better, i havent used sophos AV yet, for now i will use kasperky total security and malwarebytes paid version at the same time

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1mike View Post

Can you make a guide/explain the part in bold for noobs?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I remove computer malware for a living. I use ESET for everything lately and love it. Purchased 3yr contracts for my five home PC's. My MAC also uses it with a one year contract.

My biggest issue 'of discovery' is W10 in and of itself. Windows has some challenging issues like Flash, Ads and the Internet in General, not to mention a memory leak and GUI corruptible aspects such as the NEW Start Menu not opening apps like EDGE. This may appear to be Malware but is not. It is simply MS at its worst and well documented and ignored in the order it was received.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had problems with my system after Norton patches that require a restart and Windows 10 Updates that require a restart. When a restart is required after one of these two types of updates the system will somtimes display the Windows logo and then the logo would go away and all I would see is a black screen with a rotating circle of white dots and that's where the system would hang. In addition, I've had to uninstall and reinstall Norton 2 times on this laptop on recent months... After the most recent uninstall/reinstall things seemed to stabilize but startups were still sluggish. Today, just for grins, I again uninstalled Norton on my laptop and installed the 30 day trial of Bitdefender and at this point I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking or reality but it seems that my startups are no longer sluggish and overall system performance seems better. This is one reason why I want to know what others are seeing regarding the difference between Bitdefender and Norton in terms of performance. If it is true that my system is not as sluggish as before and Bitdefender performs equally as well as Norton for Virus preventions, anti-spam, anti-malware, and keeping my inbox clean I might make the switch permanent and also replace Norton on my desktop PC that does not seem to have the problems my laptop is having

·
Registered
59 Posts
The MSP I worked for used Bit Defender as their managed AV for a while and it was very intrusive. We even ran across the issue where it would uninstall legitimate programs from users machines that it detected as viruses. It was always giving us hassles with other software. Personally I run Windows Defender. I find AVs to more harm than good for myself and I've never been infected on my home PC.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If you do go for kaspersky, check newegg, they often have a rebate making a year only a few dollars. I bought a 3 device 2 year license key at bestbuy for $60 once. I like kaspersky cause it is fairly non invasive on my CPU and does a good job of blocking bad sites in the web browser. Has decent plugins and does it's own ad block and no tracking stuff as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts