Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best sound card for under $100 for pci express? This would be for gaming of course....

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Stay away from Creative. Their driver support is horrid.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Fatal1ty, copy pasted specs;
Quote:
Audio Chipset X-Fi
Channels 7.1
Sample Rate 96KHz
Digital Audio 24-bit
SNR109dB

Realistic EAX 5.0 sound effects in games
Accurate 3D positional audio with X-Fi CMSS-3D
Hardware accelerated performance
Clearer voice chat
64MB of X-RAM
Connectivity
Dolby Digital Live
Cinematic surround sound from DVD movies
Xtreme Fidelity audio playback
Record your own music
X-Fi Titanium HD;
Quote:
24 bit 96 kHz ADC - Play
24 bit 96 kHz 7.1 Channel DAC - Play
24 bit 192 kHz Stereo DAC - Play
24 bit 96 kHz Recording

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris;14191643
What sound card vendor has non-horrid support ?! Please elaborate.

aryuautku shows you the right path.
If you like Mozart and alike get Xonar D1 or DX.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Dont get the Fatality!
Its the same as a titanium just with a shield and extra ram, its just a waste of $.
For ~$100 get the Titanium.
If you can, get the Titanium HD.
Xonar cards are good as well but For gaming Creative is better, for music Asus work better, the best of both worlds Titanium HD

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan TSI;14193228
Dont get the Fatality!
Its the same as a titanium just with a shield and extra ram, its just a waste of $.
For ~$100 get the Titanium.
If you can, get the Titanium HD.
Xonar cards are good as well but For gaming Creative is better, for music Asus work better, the best of both worlds Titanium HD
yeah creative is the best for gaming although they have bad drivers (not horrid though) in WIN7 but they are good

as said above the Fatal1ty is pointless , the same Titanium with useless 64XRAM

but for the Titanium HD that one is terrific for both gaming and music but it can only do 2 channels analoge , and yeah its more than 100$

so i think the best card in your case is the X-Fi Titanium

·
Registered
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crag;14193270
yeah creative is the best for gaming although they have bad drivers (not horrid though) in WIN7 but they are good

as said above the Fatal1ty is pointless , the same Titanium with useless 64XRAM

but for the Titanium HD that one is terrific for both gaming and music but it can only do 2 channels analoge , and yeah its more than 100$

so i think the best card in your case is the X-Fi Titanium
Some people have problems with the drivers for the x-fi Titanium in Win7 but havent heard anything like it of the Titanium HD

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan TSI;14193323
Some people have problems with the drivers for the x-fi Titanium in Win7 but havent heard anything like it of the Titanium HD
sorry mate i forget to mention this point

the Titanium HD is terrific for both Music Movies and YES it has stable drivers

and maybe to say something else about this card , it has swappable OP-AMPs so you have the ability to get even better performance form original OP-AMPs

sadly for the OP its more than 100$

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm not a fan of creative at all, have had multiple issues with their drivers and hardware a couple of times. I would say go for one of the Asus Xonar cards, I used to have a Xonar DX before I finished my audio setup.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59;14193673
Please consider Auzentech cards...
still they are above 100$ (the cheapest decent one is the Forte) ,although their drivers are stable, but they have a bad habit of dying after while of usage and Auzenech has the worst RMA service

·
Banned
4,996 Posts
I have a 400w amped set up and I use an sound blaster x-fi xtrememusic
I got it on ebay used for about 40$ shipped, grate card

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
i have the asus dx and have no issues with games. i can't speak about bf,but my friend plays it on the same card as mine with no issues.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris;14191643
How so? I have never had a problem with their drivers. I've used the XtremeGamer, Fatal1ty Pro, and Titanium HD and have had no problems with it under Win XP 32bit, Win Vista 32bit, and Win 7 64bit. Most of the time the driver problems are due to the user.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryuautku;14191798
Fatal1ty, copy pasted specs;

X-Fi Titanium HD;
I wouldn't get the HD if it's mainly going to be used for gaming. The DAC on both cards are identical and the differences on the other components are mainly seen when listening to high fidelity music (which is what the card is targeted for).
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon26;14191640
What is the difference is those 2 cards? Is it just the one for $150 has a casing on it?
The Pro has the shield and X-RAM (useless IMHO). The DAC on both cards are the same, so save your money and get regular Titanium.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The drivers for the HD were built from the ground up for W7 and Vista.
Earlier driver support had more to do with MS changing the sound drivers stack and totally dumping Creative's earlier work in favor of onboard.
Or so I hear...I guess I'll find out tomorrow when my HD shows up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you don't intend to use speakers, the fantastically priced Xonar DG would probably suffice. Amazingly enough, Asus released new drivers for the Xonar series a week or so back and the 3rd party unified drivers make it stronger than Creative's offerings in that respect, IMO.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts