Premium Member
2,590 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Do you want best value or performance?

Value = Samsung 850 EVO
Performance = Samsung 950 850 Pro or Sandisk Extreme Pro

I assume 2.5" form factor? Or are you considering PCIe/M.2 (Samsung 950 Pro)?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Had 3 crucial drives and 1 Samsung, out of the mx200 and bx100 definitely the mx200.

However 1. I think you meant the BX200, as its a newer faster cheaper model of the BX200.

2. The 850 evo is better than both and a decent price, so I would (and actually did) get that drive

EDIT: I'll accept when I'm wrong!

·
Registered
470 Posts
What are you using it for? Just for storing games? I just picked up a Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD for the purchase. My OS drive is a 512GB 850 Pro. The Mushkin is definitely slower on the random read and write, but it's plenty fast for steam games. Plus, it was just a few bucks above $200 for 1TB.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffieneKing View Post

Had 3 crucial drives and 1 Samsung, out of the mx200 and bx100 definitely the mx200.

However 1. I think you meant the BX200, as its a newer faster cheaper model of the BX200.

2. The 850 evo is better than both and a decent price, so I would (and actually did) get that drive
I think you meant the BX100
tongue.gif

Add: The BX200 uses the TLC SM2256 controller whereas the BX100 uses the MLC SM2246EN controller. I think the BX100 is better.

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
The BX100 is far better than the BX200 and in many cases better than the MX200 as well, particularly in the kinds of workloads that matter to an end user. The BX200 is completely awful and should be avoided like the plague. It seems they changed "B" from meaning "Best" to "Bad" in just one generation.
thumb.gif

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Which SSD is best for gaming? Uh... any SSD is going to be better than a HDD, but the difference between SSDs is so minimal... any of them will suffice. Get the one that flatters your system colors the most, or buy the brand you like the name of best, or whichever has the coolest sounding model number, or pick by price. The difference in real world usage is negligible.

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

Which SSD is best for gaming? Uh... any SSD is going to be better than a HDD, but the difference between SSDs is so minimal... any of them will suffice.
Generally this.

Most modern SSDs from any reputable maker will be well past the point of diminishing returns as far as most general use, including gaming, goes.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,024 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
The Samsung 850 Evo 500GB is $150 at Newegg, is the ~best performer for the price, and has a 5 year warranty. The BX100 for the same price is end user unnoticeably slower and only 3 year warranty. Crucial is a very reputable and reliable name in the SSD world. Samsung has the EVO 840 embarrassment but besides that very good.

Add: Going off what Jidonsu mentioned, if you can make the jump, the Mushkin Reactor 1TB is priced very well, is essentially the same as the Crucial BX100 (same MLC controller), and the larger the capacity, the ~faster the SSD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts