Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to push the 940 I have a bit higher, trying to get at least 3.7 stable at least, if not 3.8+ on air. I've got the Scythe Mugen 2 for cooling, so airflow isn't a problem on my part. What's the best Stability testing program for a CPU out there?

Temps at [email protected] are 35*C with the room at roughly 70*F.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

Prime95

Though, are 35*C your idle or load temps? Load temps are what's important.

+1 for Torture Test

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Load temps are about 40-42*C. I know the threshold is 62*C for all Phenom II CPUs.

Right now with my computer pulling the frigid air from outside... my temps are... *Looks at Core Temp real quick*

21*C ^^

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ran a stability test on my current 3.5 clock at 1.425v and it's stable. 10 min test was stable. Gonna run it all night long just to be safe. It'll stop if an error occurs. Finally found a use for Prime95. ^^ Thanks guys! +rep

·
Registered
307 Posts
Stress testing is all about personal preference, some people stress P95 for 6+ hours, others use IBT or a combination of both. I have always thought if you can get past 30 runs of linx your stable. I've followed that model and have never had a error due to overclocking. Thats my

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deleted original message and edited to this message:

Max OC I can manage at the moment is 3.5GHz at 1.425v

If someone wouldn't mind letting me know what would be needed to reach 3.8? It's unstable at anything higher than 3.5GHz. I'm increasing the Multiplier only here as my ram isn't stable at anything higher than 800mhz.

200x17.5

Again, trying to hit 3.8 with only multiplier.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I built a rig for a friend using that exact same chip. It's been discussed before on the forum that the phenom's mem controller does not like to deal with all 4 banks of the mem slots filled. your using 4x2 gig sticks right? Anyway with all 4 mem slots filled the potential overclock of your phenom is substantially reduced.

Edit: back to my buddies build, I was able to overclock his chip to [email protected] vcore. that's about average what people are getting with it on good air cooling.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
increase the cpu voltage and maybe even increase the cpu/NB voltage a tad and see if you can get it stable.

I use folding @home smp to see if I'm stable. you can run all the test in the world but if you cant run [email protected] then to me ur not stable. I did some testing last night and was able to achieve 4004Ghz and was able to run some stress test but for the life of me could not get [email protected] to run for more than a minute. so i dialed my settings back to 3.8 for dailyu use and i bump it higher for testing.

if your having issues with your ram try increasing the voltage and even relaxing the timing on it to see if u can get it to work for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts