Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding redundant, I couldn't find much information on Which rad is really the best, and moreover, which one has the best price value in terms of performance by browsing online. The user reviews that NCIX provided were weak, at best.

AFAIK, I can't get the HW Labs BIX GTX 360 in Canada (NCIX and DirectCanada)

but the ones available are the Feser One TFC 360 Rad and the Swiftech MCR320 Rad.

The MCR320 is 65 dollars CAD + shipping (Direct Can /NCIX)
The Feser TFC 360 is 155 CAD + shipping (Direct Can /NCIX)
The Black Ice GT Xtreme 360 is 124USD + shipping /customs (PetrasTech)

I currently have the Swiftech MCR240 en route to me so I'm going to try out how that goes and then go from there if I want to upgrade rads.

I'm initially going to be using this in a cpu-only loop but I plan to get a full coverage black for my gtx 260 later on, or if not full coverage, the non-fullcoverage MCW60-R2 and the full coverage heatsink and the adapter.

Which one will be the best in terms of price/performance in this case and which one is really worth the money.

I had my eyes set on the MCR320, but is the Feser really worth the price premium over the MCR320? And what about the BIX 360? Should I get that?

I've already spent close to ~350 on my current setup which is enroute to me now:

Apogee GTZ
MCP655
Swiftech MCR240
Swiftech MCRES Micro v2
Tubing, etc.

Thanks,

jam3s

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451
View Post

I would go with feser

any reason in particular?

Are they known to be significantly better than the MCR320 rads?

Reason I ask is because it's close to 190 dollars just for the TFC 360 (they just raised the price tonight from the already high price of 155 plus tax.) Basically because you can't get them anywhere else.

The price difference really is astounding.

65 + shipping for MCR320, 190 + shipping for TFC 360

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've searched for a few reviews regarding the 360 last night & the only one that actually meant anything tested 3 360 rads. The TC PA 120.3 a magicool 360 & the XSPC RX 360. TBH, i don't know what fans they used so the XSPC might be @ an advantage, so taking this into consideration & the fact that the XSPC is $10 cheaper & it still beat the PA 120.3 that might be a wise choice.

If your going for a single loop woth a CPU & GPU the more cooling power the better, so for the few $ more i'd go for the best i could afford.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar_T
View Post

The Feser is better than the MCR230. Personally, I would get the MCR230. Itw ill cool your cpu and gpu quite nicely. Again, between choosing either the Feser or GTX you have to consider your fans. Above 70cfm with good static pressure the GTX is a better choice. Take a look at Skinee's review. http://www.skinneelabs.com/Pumps/D5/D5-Tops.html

Thanks Dar_T, skinnee's reviews look incredible and very comprehensive. My mind and heart wants me to choose MCR320 and skinnee's review looks upon it very fondly -- as do you apparently

In my mind, lets say the Feser 360 is the better rad, 190+ shipping isn't worth it if you ask me... unless it really is far superior than the MCR320 @ 65 + shipping.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar_T
View Post

The MCR230 is a great grab for its price.
Grab some nice medium Yates and your good to go.

I will order that as soon as I see how well my 240 performs.

Just for fun, what kind of rad do you use?

jam3s

·
Premium Member
8,198 Posts
I have almost the exact same setup that you ordered with the exception of my rad being the mcr320. For the price, the MCR is hard to beat. If you are trying to get the best performance, then the Feser is a good option if you want quiet. I myself have been looking at the XSPC as an upgrade but I'm not sure if it will improve the temp that much as I'll have to use a push or pull only instead of push/pull like I currently am.

Right now I only have the cpu in the loop, but I have a 260 full cover block right that I haven't used yet. I'm kind of hesitant to add it to the loop. I'm also very lazy and don't want to tear down my loop to add it in.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
I have almost the exact same setup that you ordered with the exception of my rad being the mcr320. For the price, the MCR is hard to beat. If you are trying to get the best performance, then the Feser is a good option if you want quiet. I myself have been looking at the XSPC as an upgrade but I'm not sure if it will improve the temp that much as I'll have to use a push or pull only instead of push/pull like I currently am.

Right now I only have the cpu in the loop, but I have a 260 full cover block right that I haven't used yet. I'm kind of hesitant to add it to the loop. I'm also very lazy and don't want to tear down my loop to add it in.
yeah I feel your pain about adding the gtx 260 waterblock.

Please do let me know your load temps with your MCR320. For me, I can't justify the price of the Feser for 190 + shipping which is ridiculous.

If anything if I'm not satisfied with the MCR240, I will consider the MCR320 very seriously, only because it is the most economical in price at 65 +shipping.

Now, the only real triple rads I can consider from Canada are the MCR320 and the Feser 360.

But if I wanted, I could check out prices of other triple rads from the states. All in all, here are the prices i've found

Jab-tech has the XSPC RX360 for 71.95USD + shipping/customs (91CAD + shipping/customs so roughly $150)
Petras has the HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme at 121USD + shipping/customs (155CAD + shipping/customs so roughly $200)
Direct Canada has the Feser TFC 360 for 155CAD + shipping (around $180)
Direct Canada has the MCR320
for 65CAD + shipping (around $90)

So i'm trying to decide between price/performance vs ordering from canada vs ordering from the states.

I just did an order with Petras so we'll see what the customs is on that. I chose First Class Mail for 14USD for ~1-10 business days.

So i'm still trying to decide which is best for me. Obviously the cheapest and easiest route would be to grab the MCR320 for 65CAD and call it a day.

But i'm still bogged down about which one to buy.

I'm lost, to be honest.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
XSPC RS360 gets my vote. I think that it is a little thicker than the MCR320.

BTW, I own a MCR320

·
Registered
270 Posts
Best Price/Performance Rad in the US is the XSPC RX360. In Canada, with the prices people are finding in the thread, I'd go with the MCR320.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have a MCR320 and it keeps my GPU and CPU both under 40c

I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Livinstrong
View Post

XSPC RS360 gets my vote. I think that it is a little thicker than the MCR320.

BTW, I own a MCR320

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfryery
View Post

Best Price/Performance Rad in the US is the XSPC RX360. In Canada, with the prices people are finding in the thread, I'd go with the MCR320.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippit
View Post

I have a MCR320 and it keeps my GPU and CPU both under 40c

I'd say go for it!

Thanks for the help guys.

Basically the top 3 rads priced lowest to highest:

MCR320 - $65 CAD + shipping
XSPC RX360 - 71USD + shipping/customs
Feser TFC 360 - 155CAD + shipping.

My mind and heart want me to choose the MCR320. The XSPC RX360 will probably cost me around $150 CAD if I were to order it from the states, and the Feser 360 will cost me close to $180 CAD.

I think I will go with the MCR320, unless someone can convince me that the XSPC RX360 is worth ordering from the states or that the Feser 360 is worth its price premium over the MCR320.

I will continue to look for reviews but I'm still cluess lol.

Jam3s

·
Premium Member
8,198 Posts
The pricing that you have for the xspc is not there standard retail price. Jab-tech had some of the first batch that had some paint defects and were selling them cheaper. They are currently out of stock and normal retail price is just a tad under $100.

Here are some of my load temps a while back

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

The pricing that you have for the xspc is not there standard retail price. Jab-tech had some of the first batch that had some paint defects and were selling them cheaper. They are currently out of stock and normal retail price is just a tad under $100.

Here are some of my load temps a while back

Oh wow, so mike that's cpu only loop?

·
Banned
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

Thanks for the help guys.

Basically the top 3 rads priced lowest to highest:

MCR320 - $65 CAD + shipping
XSPC RX360 - 71USD + shipping/customs
Feser TFC 360 - 155CAD + shipping.

My mind and heart want me to choose the MCR320. The XSPC RX360 will probably cost me around $150 CAD if I were to order it from the states, and the Feser 360 will cost me close to $180 CAD.

I think I will go with the MCR320, unless someone can convince me that the XSPC RX360 is worth ordering from the states or that the Feser 360 is worth its price premium over the MCR320.

I will continue to look for reviews but I'm still cluess lol.

Jam3s

the term "best rad" is relative to the other components in your system... namely the fans.

the RX360 and TFC 360 are basically the same. the RX has less Fins Per Inch, and cools a few more watts than the Feser at low fan speeds (low as in ~1000rpm).

the MCR320 is a great rad, but won't dissipate as much heat as either a RX360 or TFC 360 with a given fan speed.

also, the GTX 360 rad is the best performing 360 radiator available - if you have 2000rpm+ fans. it's because it has a high FPI (i think around 30 Fins Per Inch) and as such, the higher the fan speed, the greater the amount of heat can be dissipated while maintaining a specific water temperature.

so before selecting a radiator, ask yourself how loud is loud? i run my Panaflo 115cfm (~2600rpm) fans at around 1500rpm (roughly 70cfm) on my TFC 360's and it's no louder than the case and PSU fans. so if you get high speed fans and put them on a fan controller, you can adjust the airflow/noise level very easily to your liking.

with my CPU at 3.6GHz and 1.5v, my water temp is no more than 2°C above the ambient air temp (at full load) which is considered high performance. my GPU's, on the other hand, get the water temp up about 6°C above ambient (at full load) which is considered medium performance. around 10°C water temp above ambient temp is average performance and not all too great.

hope this clarifies some things.

*edit*

i take a couple things back after looking at skinnee's review of the rads. i could have swore the MCR-320 did a bit worse than what was in the review, but it looks like the MCR320 is right up there with the RX360, except after 2000rpm, where the MCR-320 can't keep up with heat dissipation. also, i can't find a review on a TFC 360 that's credible (i prolly didn't look that hard
), but the TFC 360 is along the same lines as the Thermochill PA 120.3, only better. and since the PA 120.3 decisively beats out the MCR320, it would be my bet that the TFC 360 would do the same, but for the price of a single TFC 360, you could get two MCR320's and cool even more heat.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie
View Post

the term "best rad" is relative to the other components in your system... namely the fans.

the RX360 and TFC 360 are basically the same. the RX has less Fins Per Inch, and cools a few more watts than the Feser at low fan speeds (low as in ~1000rpm).

the MCR320 is a great rad, but won't dissipate as much heat as either a RX360 or TFC 360 with a given fan speed.

also, the GTX 360 rad is the best performing 360 radiator available - if you have 2000rpm+ fans. it's because it has a high FPI (i think around 30 Fins Per Inch) and as such, the higher the fan speed, the greater the amount of heat can be dissipated while maintaining a specific water temperature.

so before selecting a radiator, ask yourself how loud is loud? i run my Panaflo 115cfm (~2600rpm) fans at around 1500rpm (roughly 70cfm) on my TFC 360's and it's no louder than the case and PSU fans. so if you get high speed fans and put them on a fan controller, you can adjust the airflow/noise level very easily to your liking.

with my CPU at 3.6GHz and 1.5v, my water temp is no more than 2°C above the ambient air temp (at full load) which is considered high performance. my GPU's, on the other hand, get the water temp up about 6°C above ambient (at full load) which is considered medium performance. around 10°C water temp above ambient temp is average performance and not all too great.

hope this clarifies some things.

Thanks.

I will be using Yate Loon D12SM-12 Fans. They do about 70CFM at about 28dba.

Will this be sufficient for the Swiftech MCR320?

Jam3s

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie
View Post

*edit*

i take a couple things back after looking at skinnee's review of the rads. i could have swore the MCR-320 did a bit worse than what was in the review, but it looks like the MCR320 is right up there with the RX360, except after 2000rpm, where the MCR-320 can't keep up with heat dissipation. also, i can't find a review on a TFC 360 that's credible (i prolly didn't look that hard
), but the TFC 360 is along the same lines as the Thermochill PA 120.3, only better. and since the PA 120.3 decisively beats out the MCR320, it would be my bet that the TFC 360 would do the same, but for the price of a single TFC 360, you could get two MCR320's and cool even more heat.

Thanks for your help man. The MCR320 looks like a solid rad for a very solid price point, so I'm excited to order it now. I too saw his reviews and it really made me think twice about ordering anything other than the Swiftech Rad, just based on price/perf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltulod
View Post

feser get my vote.

I think i'm going to just opt for the MCR320, just because of Skinnee's reviews.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts