Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't plan on doing a full refresh until at least Zen2 7nm or Intel 10nm Icelake comes out I figured I would see what my best options are as of now. I mainly play BF1 (BF5 in the near future) and PUBG.

Storage = Stagnant unless I buy a M2 with PCI-E adapter or PCI-E SSD. Figure I will wait until the full refresh for either one of those. Just bought a 1TB sata SSD that should hold me over.

GPU = Happy with my 1070 right now for 1440p gaming - want to see what the 11 series cards bring

RAM = Running at stock timining - potential overclock

CPU = Running stock on air cooling - potential overclock with unlocked cpu

Based on the above, I'm thinking my best option is to buy an AIO cooler and overclock my unlocked CPU. Maybe overclock my RAM as well?

What do yall think?

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
You should be able to push your RAM to 2133MHz CL10/11 on 1.65/1.67V, for a cooling solution just stick to bulkiest air coolings + Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut as I doubt you're aiming for more expensive AiOs. Your mobo is fine to push your CPU to the limit, just remember to test your thermal capabilities beforehand and set 4.8GHz @1.38V at first try and test it :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to push your RAM to 2133MHz CL10/11 on 1.65/1.67V, for a cooling solution just stick to bulkiest air coolings + Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut as I doubt you're aiming for more expensive AiOs. Your mobo is fine to push your CPU to the limit, just remember to test your thermal capabilities beforehand and set 4.8GHz @1.38V at first try and test it :D
You make it sound so easy :upsidedwn

I have never overclocked before and don't want to go too crazy, was thinking of spending $100 or so? Based on that you recommend sticking with my Hyper 212 Evo (maybe get a Noctua NH-D15?) and getting some Thermal Grizzly paste?

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Hyper 212 is a mid-class cooler so if you want to push it to the max you're bound to buy D15/Raijintek Tisis/Grand Macho/[insert top air cooling here]. Conductonaut is liquid metal (afraid not, stuff you have/are getting is not going to be damaged in any way if you spread it correctly, a foktone of hints/tutorials in the internet about that + Thermal Grizzly include step-by-step instruction in their product as well), in case you don't want to use it get Kryonaut. Personally, I just can't look at regular "goos" anymore :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hyper 212 is a mid-class cooler so if you want to push it to the max you're bound to buy D15/Raijintek Tisis/Grand Macho/[insert top air cooling here]. Conductonaut is liquid metal (afraid not, stuff you have/are getting is not going to be damaged in any way if you spread it correctly, a foktone of hints/tutorials in the internet about that + Thermal Grizzly include step-by-step instruction in their product as well), in case you don't want to use it get Kryonaut. Personally, I just can't look at regular "goos" anymore :)
Oh wow, I didn't realize liquid metal was being used these days. I have always used Arctic Silver 5 and called it a day.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Arctic Silver 5 is an above average paste these days. There's quite a few other pastes that perform as well or better that don't have a curing period.

For a CPU cooler, I wouldn't bother with an AIO. There's too many points of failure for my liking and you only have an i5-4670K. Something along the lines of a Noctua NH-U14S would be plenty of cooling potential for you. The Dark Rock 4 is another solid option. The NH-U12S with an NF-A12x25 PWM would be a good setup as well, but those fans have a higher price tag.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arctic Silver 5 is an above average paste these days. There's quite a few other pastes that perform as well or better that don't have a curing period.

For a CPU cooler, I wouldn't bother with an AIO. There's too many points of failure for my liking and you only have an i5-4670K. Something along the lines of a Noctua NH-U14S would be plenty of cooling potential for you. The Dark Rock 4 is another solid option. The NH-U12S with an NF-A12x25 PWM would be a good setup as well, but those fans have a higher price tag.
Thanks for the good info!

I am leaning towards getting one of the Noctua coolers you posted and pairing it with Kryonaut paste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts