Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking for, as the title describes, video capture software that can show a viewer issues like screen tearing. I'm having a persistent and frustrating problem that's hard to put to words and a video would be much more useful for description.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I might be wrong but screen tearing is something that happens between your cards output and the monitor so video capture wouldn't actually capture it plus you would most likely be lowering the frame rate on the video encode to something like 24-30 fps which would make it even more difficult to even see it happen when you play it back on a monitor with the same refresh rate.

My recommendation would be to put a camera on a tripod and record it that way.

recording alone could severely alter the way the video shows up on your screen but probably not that much on your CPU.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Software cant capture screen tearing. You're going to need a nice video camera capable of recording in higher frame rate than your monitor refresh rate for that.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Software cant capture screen tearing. You're going to need a nice video camera capable of recording in higher frame rate than your monitor refresh rate for that.
Are you sure about the refresh rate requirement?

Not saying you are wrong and I would totally understand why if you are correct but for some reason I think video cameras can capture screen tearing just fine even at 24-30FPS.

Also to the OP what games are you playing that this is so problematic. There are usually things that can be done to help.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by givmedew View Post

Are you sure about the refresh rate requirement?

Not saying you are wrong and I would totally understand why if you are correct but for some reason I think video cameras can capture screen tearing just fine even at 24-30FPS.

Also to the OP what games are you playing that this is so problematic. There are usually things that can be done to help.
If the refresh rate isn't high enough, it won't capture all tears, only ones that line up with the captured frames from the camera. Since tearing is fairly random, you could say on average a 30fps camera will pick up roughly half the tears on a 60hz screen. It's fine if you just want to prove tears exist, or their relative frequency, but not if you actually want to capture all of them.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happens in ALL applications. Scrolling in Firefox, Pale Moon x64, and IE10. All of my games. Viewing images large enough to scroll up-down on.i just did a full OS reinstall (W7 pro x64) and the problem persists. Tried every recent graphics driver, problem persists.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
This is on your GTX 680?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup. Singly and in SLI. I need to dig out my GT520 and GTX 460 to see if it exists on those too.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup. Singly and in SLI. I need to dig out my GT520 and GTX 460 to see if it exists on those too.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
Talk about....
Double Post: "That is way out of my league!"

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

Confirmed that the same issue exists with a GTX 460.
Oh wow...

where do you go from there.

Can you do a total and complete removal of all drivers and nvidia software and run the card off the generic WDDM driver.

I know you won't be able to run any games but you said tearing happens on all programs.

Edit

Please read this and tell me what you think. I did a search for "hannspree screen tearing"

Also if you could try a different refresh rate. If you are running at 59 change it to 60 if at 60 then change it to 59. Try the refresh rate before removing any drivers.

I have a feeling after reading a few things that this is an issue between nvidia 4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx cards and that monitor.

I think if there was someone who was an engineer for a monitor company that could chime in could say what they thought about this would be beneficial... I don't know any though LOL.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did, and I could not replicate the tearing issue when on generic drivers on the 680s or the 460. I don't know if it's a resolution issue, meaning I can't generate what's needed to induce tearing, or if it's driver related, meaning the Nvidia drivers are the issue. Or, hell, it might be my monitor. I'm stumped at this point.

Just saw your edit, will check after dinner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts