Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal:

My friend has a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop and he wants to play some games. His main game is Counter Strike and he has a hard time playing on his current video card. He wants to upgrade his video card, but I made sure to check his PSU and found it to be 350W. I'm sure he plays other games, so I'm looking for the best card for a 350W system. I know some of the better cards will be bottlenecked in his system, but he informed me that he will be using this same video card when he builds a new system later on. My first thought was the ATI Radeon 4670 being that it only uses about 60W at full load. Can he get any better than this? Price is $140 max and he doesn't want to upgrade his PSU no matter how hard I try to convince him...don't ask me why

Thanks in advance!

-Walt

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
i have a friend who is running a 8800gt on a dell 8400 as well as a friend running a 8800gt on a dell e521 with the stock power supplies (the same as yours) both have been doing so for close to 1.5 years. Dell underrates their PSUs, they are pretty decent, plus the 8800gt is only ~105W full load and im sure the 9800GT 55nm/GTS 240 is even less.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltTheWalt View Post
PCI-E.

How does the 8800GT compare to the 4670? Price/Performance?
The 8800GT would be a decent bit faster but dont buy one. If you are interested in an 8800GT and think it will run ok on that 350W then buy an HD4830 instead. $65 shipped AR, best bang for the buck ever.

http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...12mb-65-a.html

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auld View Post
The 8800GT would be a decent bit faster but dont buy one. If you are interested in an 8800GT and think it will run ok on that 350W then buy an HD4830 instead. $65 shipped AR, best bang for the buck ever.

http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...12mb-65-a.html
Agreed, the 4830 is a great card and doesn't take too much power, unless you overclock it a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
I would not go higher than 4670 as it doesn't need a PCIE connector, any higher than that and you are running the risk of a PSU failure, I have actually had one blow up and embed shrapnel in my leg, since then I will never overload a PSU or buy a no name PSU

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntman21014 View Post
I have actually had one blow up and embed shrapnel in my leg, since then I will never overload a PSU or buy a no name PSU

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntman21014 View Post
I would not go higher than 4670 as it doesn't need a PCIE connector, any higher than that and you are running the risk of a PSU failure, I have actually had one blow up and embed shrapnel in my leg, since then I will never overload a PSU or buy a no name PSU
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to push him to get a card that might not work with his PSU. I wan't to be as close to 100% sure as I can. 4670 is looking good as of now.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntman21014
View Post

I dun think that is necessarily caused by overloading. When I worked in a computer shop, I had a PSU explode in my face, and the only thing loading it was a ATX PSU tester. I def agree with the part about buying a good quality brand name PSU.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard
View Post

I suggest you really talk your friend in considering a PSU upgrade.

i agree
350 will snap on u sooner or later

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewlett-Packard
View Post

I suggest you really talk your friend in considering a PSU upgrade.

You need a special one for Dell computers. PC Power and Cooling makes some. I think an 8800GT will run JUST FINE on it and provide him with hours of fun. Next time, tell him not to get a Dell.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0
View Post

Wait for the new 40nm 4700 series.

yeah a 4770, which should be out like april 4, will have 4850 performance, sub $100, and should use very little power.
But a 8800GT should work. And they go for $80 shipped used on here. If you buy new look for a gts240.

·
4.0ghz
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltTheWalt
View Post

Here's the deal:

My friend has a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop and he wants to play some games. His main game is Counter Strike and he has a hard time playing on his current video card. He wants to upgrade his video card, but I made sure to check his PSU and found it to be 350W. I'm sure he plays other games, so I'm looking for the best card for a 350W system. I know some of the better cards will be bottlenecked in his system, but he informed me that he will be using this same video card when he builds a new system later on. My first thought was the ATI Radeon 4670 being that it only uses about 60W at full load. Can he get any better than this? Price is $140 max and he doesn't want to upgrade his PSU no matter how hard I try to convince him...don't ask me why

Thanks in advance!

-Walt

The Dell 350w is 350 continious watts @ 28amps
There should be an extra molex connector hidden behind the psu if you need a pcie connection.

Quote:

8600gts or 9500gt

or 3850 or 4670

You can set your sites alittle higher than quoted above.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltTheWalt View Post
8800GTX or Ultra is out of the question, correct?
yeah totally. They are also dual slot so they wont fit and they use A LOT more wattage than a 8800gt. id say 8800gt/9800gt/gts240 max. since those are the best ~100w cards. (105w)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts